Unanswered: How to avoid the error - "ORA-00001: unique constraint violated"

I've this tables:

Code:
    CREATE TABLE MY_TAB
    (
      PK_ID           VARCHAR2(32),
      COD_ID           VARCHAR2(32),
      NAME_FIRST       VARCHAR2(32),
      NAME_LAST        VARCHAR2(32),
      EMAIL            VARCHAR2(32),
      CITY           VARCHAR2(32),
      FLAG             CHAR(1)
    );

ALTER TABLE MY_TAB
    ADD (CONSTRAINT PK_PK_ID PRIMARY KEY (PK_ID));
    The primary key PK_ID is linked in this way:
    name_last||'_'||substr(name_first,1,3)||substr(cod _id,-2)

PK_ID................COD_ID.........NAME_FIRST.... .....NAME_LAST.........EMAIL........CITY.......FLA G
    LUISS_SAM99...009999........SAMMY..............LUI SS.............ddd@bb.com..........ROME........1
    LUISS_SAM99...009345........TOMMY..............SIM PSON.............XXX@bb.com..........LONDON....... .1
    LUISS_SAM99...009656........JOHN..............KAYN E.............YYYY@bb.com..........PARIS........1

I'd like a stored procedure with in INPUT COD_ID that insert a new record with same values of the previous record BUT with PK_ID||'_'||progressive (or other value) and put FLAG='0'

For example:

Code:
    execute INS_DUP_COD ('009999');

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed
    My Output Will be:

PK_ID................COD_ID.........NAME_FIRST.... .....NAME_LAST.........EMAIL........CITY.......FLA G
    LUISS_SAM99...009999........SAMMY..............LUI SS.............ddd@bb.com..........ROME........1
    LUISS_SAM99_1...009999........SAMMY..............L UISS.............ddd@bb.com..........ROME........0
    LUISS_SAM99...009345........TOMMY..............SIM PSON.............XXX@bb.com..........LONDON....... .1
    LUISS_SAM99...009656........JOHN..............KAYN E.............YYYY@bb.com..........PARIS........1

Code:
    execute INS_DUP_COD ('009999');

My Output Will be:

LUISS_SAM99_1...009999........SAMMY..............L UISS.............ddd@bb.com..........ROME........0
    LUISS_SAM99_2...009999........SAMMY..............L UISS.............ddd@bb.com..........ROME........0

Code:
    execute INS_DUP_COD ('009345');

My Output Will be:

LUISS_SAM99_2...009999........SAMMY..............L UISS.............ddd@bb.com..........ROME........0
    LUISS_SAM99_1...009345........TOMMY..............S IMPSON.............XXX@bb.com..........LONDON..... ...0

How Can I write my stored procedure to avoid "ORA-00001: unique constraint violated" on PK_ID column?

Thanks in advance!

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by raf View Post
    How Can I write my stored procedure to avoid "ORA-00001: unique constraint violated" on PK_ID column?
    That's simple: don't insert the same PK_ID twice

Or use a synthetic key instead of your employee data.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Oh man! Shammat stole my thunder. I really wanted to give that answer.

Provided Answers: 5
    well, you could always do the other one, remove the unique constraint

Or check whether it exists and on this exception reincrement and get another value.

End