Question Unanswered: Counting instances of specific value

Hi there. I'm pretty adept w/ VBA in MS Access, but I'm a total n00b at using it in Excel. Never ventured in to Excel VBA, so I don't really...get it. I've been scouring the web looking for a solution here for a couple hours now, so I figured I'd post here and see if the most brilliant minds of our time could help me out.

I've got a very simple task. I've got a range of say H10:H39. Each of these cells is going to either say Y, N, or NA - I want to just ... have a cell beneath the column that sums up the number of Ys in the range. That is all.

Like I said, total n00b here, I appreciate the help.
    "Unix is user friendly... It's just very picky about its friends."

The best things in life...are well-documented.

Hi,
    I've got a very simple task. I've got a range of say H10:H39. Each of these cells is going to either say Y, N, or NA - I want to just ... have a cell beneath the column that sums up the number of Ys in the range. That is all.
    This can be done with a formula, so there's probably no need to use Excel VBA. It's really a count, not a sum, and there is one condition so the COUNTIF() worksheet function is suitable.

Say your total is in the cell H40, put this formula in that cell:
    =COUNTIF(H10:H39,"y")

The "y" string condition is not case sensitive.

If this is part of a process you are automating, then you can put the formula into the cell using Excel VBA by using the Range.Formula property. An example would be:
    Code:
    Sub foo()

Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("H40").Formula = "=COUNTIF(H10:H39,""y"")"

End Sub

Hope that helps?
    Last edited by Colin Legg; 12-07-09 at 14:29.

Talking

Yes! Yes that helps much and perfectly! Thank you for your response. I had a feeling it was going to be something really simple.
    "Unix is user friendly... It's just very picky about its friends."

The best things in life...are well-documented.

You're welcome.