Unanswered: Database Locking

I have a split db with 3 different frontends and about 30 users. The majority of them use a front end that they need to log into so that they only see their own cases (social workers). Although there are a few still using the old shortcut, most are using a copy which is added fresh to their desktops each time they log in.

They primarly use one form to write up their visits. The query under it is comprised of 2 primary tables linkedwith a one to one relationship and 2 other tables with 1 to many relationships. The first table contains all the pertinate info on the visit using text, date, time and combo boxes. The second table (1-1) has the memo and large text fields. There is one subform.

On occassions, the database will lock giving them the message "can not update; currently locked". When they hit to OK, they lose the record, sometimes with long synopsis' on them.

First, there is no way that there can be 2 people accessing the same record, between the fact that they are working on a front end copy and they can only access their own kids. It does appear to happen on days with above average use and to people who are putting in a lot of notes on one day.

I have been posting this problem for months and am at my wits end. I am working with low computer skilled users who love to blame everything on the db. I really need an answer to this if anyone can help.

Terri
    Terri Gavin

The only advice I can offer that might help would be to switch to unbound form.
    That way, the user isn't "sitting" on a record. The only transactions happen when the
    user clicks on the SAVE button and you send the data out to the database.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Thanks. I hope there is a less drastic solution but I will keep it in mind.
    Terri Gavin

Provided Answers: 59
    check what locking the various Access installations are suign.

depending on version it could be table, page, row or none.

if you know there is no chance of more than two people updating the same record, then consider none.

if you have the choice of row locking (Access 200 on) then use it.

otherwise you have a choice, table locking is bad news, page locking likewise, but less so.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton