Client or server? Load balancing in database systems.

Hi,

I'm new here, so welcome First of all, sorry for my English. I hope that it would be able to understand what I'm writing.

I'm writing master thesis at the end of my studies. The subjest of this thesis is 'Client or server? Load balancing in database systems.' The main problem is that I cannot find many information about it in the Internet. That's why I'm asking for help. The thesis is generally about what to do, how to design database system so it would be efficient. Especially what tasks could client side do to make the load smaller on the server side. I've already wrote about Oracle RAC, project Mosix for Linux and grid networks such as Boinc project. Unfortunately all of these subject don't tell precisely how to configure or design database so it would be load balanced, it's rather about network load balancing. I know that eg. algebraic calculations should proceed on client side, I mean that would be optimal. What else? I would be grateful if you let me know about some technologies, articles, books or even systems which are connected whith this topic.

Thank you in advance for your replies,

Regards!

Ok, I can see that it's rather unpopular subject. I have another question then. Do you have some information about running database on Mosix cluster? Is it efficient? And again, please post some links to articels etc.

I would advise you to change your thesis subject. I have never heard of any significant balancing of database effort between client and server, nor have I heard of Mosix. If you can't find information about these on the web it may be best to find another topic.

Quote Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
    I know that eg. algebraic calculations should proceed on client side, I mean that would be optimal.
    Eh?
    Load should be split according to functionality. Presentation functionality belongs on the client side. Data logic belongs on the database side.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com