Arrow Unanswered: Entering database password in autoexec macro

I am trying to make my access more secure . i have a login form which caters the need for software security . but even after i created an mde i found out that i can always open a blank access and change table enteries through link table manager , for that i wanted to assign a database password . but that password should not appear before the user login screen and so i want an autoexec macro or anything in vba to auto fill in the password field..

Is it possible

Hi,

I have found that the easiest way to protect your database is to:

1. disable all close, min and max and control boxes to all forms
    2. If you have to open a form, open it in Dialog box mode as this means they cannot leave the form until closing it or opening another form on top. I just created a splashscreen to make sure this happend for the first form.
    3. Make the file into .accde or .mde
    4. Disable Bypass key (also have a hidden button somewhere so that you can enable it to make any changes to the file)
    5. If you are using Access 2007 then open the .accde, go to the office icon in the top left hand corner and at the bottom of the menu is Access Options. By changing the options like "Display Navigation Pane" and "Allow Full menus" you can make sure no one can do much damage if they somehow got in. You can also select the starting form that always appears when it is opened (in my case I have it on the splashscreen).

Would this help? That way you wouldn't need a password.

Phil

Thanks for the reply phil . i am using acc 2002 .i have already applied almost all these steps on my software .. need something more .. any way to disable link table manager.

Ok...

I haven't got Access 2002 anymore, but I think you can disable it from the Toolbar:

Tools -> Database Utilities -> Linked Table Manager

I think you can disable the whole toolbar...
    I'll try to find out more.
    Phil

I found another website where they managed to disable linked manager by locking the navigation pane. Is this ok for you to do on your database
    Last edited by pb190; 12-11-09 at 05:57. Reason: website found

rather than disabling the link table manager isnt there a way to automatically enter the db password with a macro or so .

Ah sorry looks like i didn't finish my post... strange.

What I was thinking was locking the navigation pane at the start and when you push a button the navigation pane becomes unlocked. That way the user themselves cannot use the TLM and then when the admin wants it then they enter the password and the navigation pane unlocks thereby can use LTM.

But whats the point of having a db password if the password is going to be automatically put in?