Unanswered: Selecting Database for a Large Health Care Appliccation

We are in proposal to develop a health care application. We have decided to use ASP.Net 3.5, C#, and other supporting softwares. For Database side, we are still in confusion. This application is a web application which shall be deployed in 7 to 9 regions. We should have to maintain a centralized database servers as well as the local database servers in each regions. We are expecting huge data transactions. Since we have the vast experience in SQL Server, we are comfortable with that.

1. We need to get idea about the performance of SQL Server 2005 for this application
    2. Will have to face any problem in future if the database size grows if we use SQL Server2005?
    3. What are the benefits of Oracle over SQLServer

Please Suggest me.

Thanks.
    Arun
    Last edited by a_arunsankar; 12-10-09 at 03:48.

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by a_arunsankar View Post
    1. We need to get idea about the performance of SQL Server 2005 for this application
    Should be posted to the SQL Server forum.
    2. Will have to face any problem in future if the database size grows if we use SQL Server2005?
    Should be posted to the SQL Server forum.
    3. What are the benefits of Oracle over SQLServer
    Depends on who you ask.
    It's similar like the question "Is Pepsi better than Coke?", "Is a BMW better than an Audi?", "Is green nicer than blue?"

Please Suggest me.
    You will need to provide a lot more information if you really want to get a qualified answer. And even then it will be biased by the experience whoever answers the question.
    I for one would aovid SQL Server like anything else, and given the choice would always choose Oracle over SQL Server (if budget is thight my choice would be PostgreSQL)
    But other people out there (especially in SQL Server forums) will probably state the complete oposite.

Since we have the vast experience in SQL Server, we are comfortable with that.
    If you have experience with SQL Server, then use it and stick to it.
    Oracle and SQL Server are very different and you'll need to re-think most of the approaches you do with SQL Server when moving over to Oracle.

Oracle and SQL Server are very different and you'll need to re-think most of the approaches you do with SQL Server when moving over to Oracle.
    It always cracks me up when I see MSSQL Server (and MySQL) developers trying to work with other databases. But if your team knows SQL Server well and doesn't know Oracle, that should be an easy choice.

Provided Answers: 11
    You can code poor performance in any RDBMS. And that is exactly where most of the problems with any RDBMS system come from. Poor table structures, bad/missing indexes or index statistics, inefficient code. The list is almost endless, and seems to get longer with every bit of code I review. If your team has experience with SQL server, then use that experience. SQL Server will happily host databases into the terabyte range, so long as the developers pay attention to best practices.

Licensing wise, Oracle licensing seems to be simpler. for instance you jutt buy one for each user. No need of a separate CAL. So do also check out the cost.

Since you have already decided to use ASP.net etc, SQL server seems a natural choice since you will be running on Win2K and not Unixes.

End

Good to see sober thought on this and not just the usual "My RDBS ROCKS!" style comments.

The thing that really made the difference in choice for me was Oracles implementation of concurrency and consistency. See documentation: Data Concurrency and Consistency
    The implementation seemed to make the most sense to me and has made the implementation of my systems easier. If I was ever writing a banking system, Oracle would be the ONLY answer for me.

The only thing I am not liking about Oracle at the moment is its tying of the user and schema together. It makes some security issues more difficult and coding often requires various implementations of "alter session set current_schema" and other "hacks".