Thread: SQL Server 2000

Unanswered: SQL Server 2000

I have to use SQL Server 200 as that is what my customer has and won't move.

I need to increment and Invoice number and unfotunately the existing software is written in VB6 so I have to stay with that.

I am usin the following code to update the Invoice Number but want to use the new updated number to print on the invoice and store in the Invoice Header / Details table.

Issue I have is that I cannot be sure that if I perform the update followed by the select that I get my updated value back as another program on another PC may have gotten another update in after mine.

Update MasterData set NextInvoiceNumber = NextInvoiceNumber + 1

I am using ADO and Recordsets and problem I have is that the recordset is empty after the update.

So how can I get the updated InvoiceNumber back into my VB program.

Provided Answers: 10
    Code:
    UPDATE MasterData
    SET    NextInvoiceNumber = NextInvoiceNumber + 1
    OUTPUT inserted.NextInvoiceNumber
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 11
    I don't think OUTPUT was available in SQL Server 2000.

What I would do is put all of this into a stored procedure. Ideally, you would have the Invoice Number column be an identity column, and return the value of @@identity after the insert. If you can not do that, then you can at least put the insert, and select of the new invoice number in a single transaction, which should guarantee you the right result, but I would not recommend this, except for the smallest of databases.

Provided Answers: 10
    Apologies, I was skim reading in a rush earlier so missed that subtlty

Is Scope_Identity() available in 2000?
    George
    Home | Blog

As a matter of fact, it is.

Thanks for what you have said already but I am having problems.

I have created a Stored Procedure that has both the Update and then the Select Statement in it.

I execute the Stored procedure and can see from the table that the Update has worked, but when I try to access the recordset (ADO) within the VB6 program it says "Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal" so as I understand it the recordset has been closed, so nothing availabel for me to use.

How do I get the result of the select into the progarm?

use SET NOCOUNT ON in the stored procedure. ADO gets confused, when it sees multiple messages about rows affected.

Thats it.

Done it now.

Thanks very much