Thread: Shadow tables

Unanswered: Shadow tables

Hi All,

We have a region where Db2 tables get update in the Batch window. This batch window if from 9.00 pm daily and last till 12.00 midnight. The updates or refresh occurs in different phase in the job schdule. We are exploring of a possibility of having a shadow tables created so that other interfaces can access the tables in consistency and with out outages. And when batch is over, every body can switch over to the main region.

Advantage is that there are no real updates on these tables. One way is to create any other tablespaces set with different qualifier and keep switching them just before batch and after batch cycles. Looks very crude to me. I could use any expert advise here.
    Let me know if you think you need more details to proceed.

bs.
    bs

Provided Answers: 5
    I think your signature says it all

Why can you not use the tables while batch processes are running?

Are you load replacing them? Otherwise I would say that you have bigger issues to fry than creating a shadow table and switching back and forth.

Dave Nance

Depending on the specific DB2 version and platform you are using, you may be able to stick to range-partitioned tables. Create a new table, process it in batch, then append this new table as a new partition to the existing table.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Thanks Dave. We are load replacing several tables in the batch. (Z/os & DB2 8ver)
    The problem we are trying to overcome is consistency during the cycle. In the 3-5 hour window we will have different tables getting at different times. So for outside world its inconsistent.
    bs