Unanswered: Is MS-Access the good one?

Hello,
    I am creating website for School Administration and i would like to have ms-access as backend.
    There are around 2000 users to add and edit their datas in this database over the internet.
    So when i use MS-Access will it work fast for the user queries?
    or Do i have to use any other database?

Provided Answers: 59
    200+ users internet front end

then in my books Access isn't the 'right' solutiuon
    why
    the JET data engine doesn't scale too well above 20..50 users, access itself (the application..the reports,forms and so on can support thousands of users providign the app is designed properly and uses a server backend) but their are licencing issues
    the JET engine isn't reccomended for web use

you would be better off with a web based solution for the remote users using whatever technologies you have access to. that could be ASP, PHP or PERL or whatever, using whatever db you have access to that could be MySQL. don't rule out MS products as in the academic environment they can be very reasonably priced.

you could run an Access app connecting to the same server backend for use within the school
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Access is not the right solution because you require a web architecture.

If you have Access - - it can be helpful in developing the prototype; that you give to the web developer. They need a clear understanding of what is the Scope of Work - and the best model for them to work off of would be a fully functional Access db.

I'm not of the belief that one can realisticly learn the entire stack of coding needed for a web solution for a one-off project. I feel the complexity is such that one should generally be doing as a full time endeavor. Just one opinion.....

I would find a local web developer - or consider a public web database service such as Dabble DB - Create an Online Database - Collect, report, and share your data

wierd I put in the dabble url and it automatically changed it to what you see underlined...

dabbleDB . com

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    wierd I put in the dabble url and it automatically changed it to what you see underlined...

dabbleDB . com
    nope
    not wierd, when you put the URL in without a refernece vBulletin checks the page exists and grabs the title from the HTML page referred to
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton