Unanswered: Connect DB2 9.7 to AS/400 DB

Hi,

Just started with DB2 Express 9.7. Am wondering what needs to be done to enable me to connect to my AS/400 DB. I am using the Configuration Assistant to add my database. I seem to be getting this error every time I do a "Discover" after entering my IP address: -

SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "193.9.200.1". Communication function detecting the error: "connect". Protocol specific error code(s): "10061", "*", "*". SQLSTATE=08001

Just wondering if anything needs to be configured on my AS/400 side. For info, my DB2 is residing on a Win Vista PC, and the AS/400 is V4R4. Thanks.

For connection to AS/400, z/OS or OS/390 you need software named "DB2 Connect".
    This software can be found in "Enterprise Edition"

Cheers, Zvonimir

Thks zvon. Does this mean that I need to purchase this DB2 Connect ? Looked at IBM website and it has a pretty hefty price tag.

Any other way of getting this ? I just need it for temporary use.

Yes, You have to purchase DB2 Connect.

Btw, try looking for "DB2 Connect Personal Edition", i found somewhere for free...

Yes DB2 Connect License is required. Although for this error, check if the server is listening for TCPIP connections.

Regards,
    Sawan Gupta

One clarification. If my AS400 server can be accessed via TCPIP, i.e. for my HTTP (web) server and client access, does this mean that it is configured for TCPIP ?

I am asking this as I am of the understanding that DB2 Connect is not required if my AS400 has TCPIP support. Or I may be wrong ........ ? Thanks.

The reason I asked to verify the configuration because, if it was a licensing issue then you would have received a Licensing error (missing DB2 Connect License) rather than SQL30081.

Regards,
    Sawan Gupta

Hi sawangupta. I have checked. My AS400 server is listening to TCPIP connections. I presume I can do a ping to verify this from my server ? Any other ways to verify the TCPIP ?

Not sure about AS400, but for LUW the steps to enable TCPIP are

db2set DB2COMM=TCPIP
    db2 update dbm cfg using SVCENAME <service_name>
    restart db2.

Regards,
    Sawan Gupta

I have done the above for my Win Vista PC hosting the DB2. But I am still getting the same SQL30081N error.

I have ping from my AS400 server to the PC where DB2 is stored and got a reply. I also did the vice versa. I can presume that my AS400 server is listening to incoming TCPIP connections.

It is very strange this thing is happening, unless it is a must that I get this DB2 Connect software, and a costly one too for the license ..... sigh.