Unanswered: If Function with Time Format

Hello There,

Im trying to write a new sheet to log hours for calls so that I can claim all hours worked whilst on call back.

I have a cell with a time format in that i use to enter the time when the call is logged, i then have another cell in time format to log when the call was finished, a third cell calculates the time of the call (all pretty straight forward so far).

basically, I have time restrictions on the hours that I am allowed to claim back. This being for example, not being allowed to claim back any hours worked before 10pm.

I am trying to write an if statement that will first look at the time in Cell 1 and check that it is before 10pm, the result being automatically 0 as this is before claimable time. If after 10pm, to just display the amount of time owed. Im struggling with what to put in as my actual criteria

I had tried If(Cell1>10:00, Cell3, 0) this was just a basic start which i realised failed as in excel 10:00 is acutally specifying a range, when i tried with just the number 10 in, it brought me back the answer as 0.

Is it possible to work with Time regarding if statements or is there a better way I could go about this.

Thanks for Reading.

Hi,

Best to use 24 hour format for the times so, for example, Excel can distinguish between 10am and 10pm. A start time of 9.55pm could be input as 21:55.

So I understand from your post that if a call started at 21:55 and went on to 22:10, the call lasted for 15 minutes but you would only claim for the 10 minutes after 22:00.

Suppose column A has the start times and column B has the end times, and assuming that your calls always finish before midnight, you could use this formula starting in row 2:

=IF(B2>TIME(22,0,0),B2-MAX(TIME(22,0,0),A2),0)

The cell containing this formula should be formatted to show a time result, for example [mm] to show the result (10) in minutes.

This formula says "If the call finished after 10pm then work out how many minutes after 10pm I was on the call for, otherwise return 0".

If you prefer, you could use 22/24 instead of TIME(22,0,0).

Hope that helps...

Thank you very much Colin, that does pretty much what I am after, with a little tweaking I will be able to get it to fit my needs perfectly (there is nothing wrong with your statement, I just have a few more contraints thats all).

Once again thanks.

On a side not, i know the solution you gave me works for calls between 10pm and Midnight, basically, my on call rota goes from 5:30pm-8:00am the following morning. Of these hours I am only able to claim back time from 10:00pm-8:00am

I am now thinking that the calculations I was after are not possible, but if there is a solution to that problem, I would highly appreciate it.

Hi,

If times carry on after midnight then you need to include both the date and the time in each cell. Instead of 22:00, use 12/12/2009 22:00 etc...

The formula we were using will also need to be modified slightly and then Excel will then automatically be able to cater for date overlap within the calculations.
    with a little tweaking I will be able to get it to fit my needs perfectly (there is nothing wrong with your statement, I just have a few more contraints thats all).
    If you let me know the other constraints (if there are any other than those mentioned in post #4) then I might be able to suggest something specific?

Hope that helps...