Unanswered: Migrating Access DB over to Sharepoint

I have a question or two about migrating an Access 2007 database to Sharepoint.

I have two tables linked to Oracle, it appears that when I attempt to migrate it to Sharepoint, the wizard is attempting to make copies of those tables.

The way these tables are used, luckily, do not directly link to any of my Access tables, forms, ect, so I can kill the links without anything breaking.

Is there a way I can keep these links while it is on Sharepoint? A work-around we may attempt would be, kill the links, migrate, then on someone's local copy, set the links back up. I have two scripts that append data to access tables from Oracle, which could be kicked off by one person. This only need to be done once a week also.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated! This is my first time dealing with Access and Sharepoint together.

Thanks!
    If I had any wisdom to impart, I would do so here.

Provided Answers: 1
    What do you mean when you say you're migrating it to sharepoint? Do you mean you're storing an access database in sharepoint?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    What do you mean when you say you're migrating it to sharepoint? Do you mean you're storing an access database in sharepoint?
    I just looked in Access again, its "move to sharepoint" wizard, type, thinga-ma-jig. I thought it was labeled migrate.

I would say it's different than just storing it. I could just upload the file to pull that off. from what I understand (which isn't saying much), when it's moved to sharepoint, local copies can be saved on an individuals machine. This will work for us since our users can't always maintain connectivity, so it should allow for working offline, and coming back to synchronize once they can connect again.

I'm not sure how the tables are moved to sharepoint, if they're lists, or what. I do know that referential integrity isn't there, and the indexes I had applied to a few fields will not be supported.

Hopefully that helps.

You can 'publish' your BE tables to SharePoint as Lists. Assuming you are on the same LAN as the sharepoint server you can link your FE to these lists....at the same time a sharepoint developer could make web based sharepoint forms using these same lists.

If you 'move' your Access to SharePoint it is much more analogous to putting an Access application at a shared drive that people can copy for themselves - or open it and use it. It does not make it web enabled - it just makes it available to that sharepoint community.

If you publish some tables to sharepoint lists; this would not preclude you from still having your FE linked to Oracle tables. They can still exist. The way to get Oracle linked data to your lists would be via a query (append, update, etc).

Sharepoint should not be entered into lightly by the Access developer. You should have a sharepoint developer/manager on your team or commit to learning sharepoint formally. In my opinion. In pure situations of geographically distributed Access where Sharepoint is not available or over kill, and one does not have a high speed private WAN with terminal services, then one might consider the AccessTables.com service that replicates distributed Access applications to create shared tables.

As usual, I appreciate the feedback.

The "team" on this project is I, me, and myself. I wish I did have some recourses here who were familiar with Sharepoint.

I did end up moving the database to Sharepoint, Oracle links removed at the time. I re-established them after the fact. I'm not sure why but, online or offline, from Sharepoint, my append queries ran against the (linked) Oracle tables no longer work. For a momentary work around I just pulled the Oracle tables into Access rather than linking. Since I only need to fetch data from Oracle once a week, I have been just appending it to Access tables.

Provided Answers: 1
    Yeah, this is really BDC realm. The sharepoint storage facility in general doesn't lend itself to storing straight up relational data. The usual approach is to use (or write) a data connector for external sources, and use either SSRS or a custom webpart to display the aggregated data.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***