Locked in side a tiny room with a keyboard and many monitors glowing away in the dark...

Unanswered: SQL Server Reporting Replicating Data

Hello Smart People,

I am working with SQL Server Reporting Services 2005, and all a sudden the previous reports that where working just fine are now duplicating data in the report.

So if I know that my report should give 5 rows I am now getting 15/20 rows that repetes the simple 5 rows. Nothing has been changed in the query.

I am basicaly trying to find ways to troubleshoot the issue so I can rule out the Reporting Service as the issue and see if it is not the over lying software.

Thanks for your assistance!!!!
    "understand, in a sick and twisted sort of way?"

on the wrong server
    Provided Answers: 6
    no smart people here, but i would check for duplicate data in the database.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Richmond, VA
    Provided Answers: 5
    Or was there a database change and now you are no longer equating on the entire key, thereby getting a cartesian product.

Provided Answers: 4
    The easy way out of this is to write DISTINCT after the SELECT. But I have found out that having to rely on a DISTINCT to get the correct result, is often the result of an error in the data or the query.

Take the underlying query and simplify it, keeping one or only a few tables in the FROM part, put in a WHERE clause so you get only 1 record. Then add more and more tables and join them with the previous query. At some point you will get duplicated records. Start investigating the reason of the duplicated records.

Using a DISTINCT is not only an easy way to solve this kind of problems, its also quit and above all dirty, camouflaging problems but not solving them.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages