Thread: Time

Lightbulb Unanswered: Time

Hi All,

I have created a simple access package to monitor producivity within my team, i have a table with a couple of columns, (Name,Task,Started,Finish,Time Taken)

started and finish are both formatted to take short time, i need time taken to display the amount of hours and minutes betweetn start and finish?

how can i do this?

Provided Answers: 59
    ok so first off you have redundant data there, you have the start time, the end time so you don't need the timetaken (or you could have start time and time taken and derive time finished)

just format the timetaken with an appropriate mask assuming the time take is a datetime column
    if not
    =format(finish-start,"HH:MMS")
    'you may need to tweak the format mask, I get confused between the various placeholders for minutes/months and so on

or take advantage of a quirk of the way Access stores time, which is a decimal number. the integer protion is the number of days since (IIRC 01/01/1900) and the decmal part is the proportion of days

so .5 = 12 hours
    .75 is 18 hours and so on

so to find the number og hours

NoHours=timetaken/(1/24)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

hi i get what your saying but, i am inputting data from a sheet that shows me the time a task was started and a time that it was finished, i then need to know how long was spent on it

Provided Answers: 19
    1. Do your Started and Finished fields include the dates as well as times?
    2. Do the start/finish times ever cross midnight?

If you're entering Date and Time in Started and Finished this placed in the Control Source for TimeTaken will do the trick. And as healdem has suggested, this should be a calculated, unbound textbox. Any time you need the TimeTaken you would simply re-calculate it, using the same expression.
    Code:
    =Format(DateDiff("n",[Started],[Finished])\60 & ":" & DateDiff("n",[Started],[Finished]) Mod 60,"Short Time")
    If you're only entering times question # 2 above becomes particularly important.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

hi,

start and finish are both formatted as just short time, and no they dont cross midnight as is a primarily 9-5 sort of thing

Provided Answers: 59
    start and finish may be displayed as short time, but they are datetime datatypes. that measn you can do date arithmetic on the columns.

so you have a choice
    use the datediff function
    use an appropriate format on the timetaken column
    do some simple ,maths on the column
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton