Exclamation Unanswered: Question about form/table data

This question may be simple, but I can't seem to get it.

I have a table which I enter data in using a form. The table and form are called "claims". The fields are as such:

First Name
    Last Name
    Employer
    SSN

and so on.

Then I have a table which I enter data in using a form. The table and form are called "charges". The fields are similar:

First Name
    Last Name
    Employer
    SSN

and so on.

Well, the primary data entry goes in "claims" and I only enter some of the "claims" data in the "Charges" table/form.

Right now, if I want to enter the data from claims into charges, i just copy and paste which is very time consuming.

Is there any way to avoid the copy paste and just click a command button to allow me to automatically put the data from the claim record into the charges record?

I hope this makes sense.

You could run a query that gets the data from your "Claims" table then Appends them to the other table.

Why not have a table called Customers which links off to a Customer Claims table and a Customer Charges table with a Many to many relationship. Just an idea.

well, i only want some records from claims to show up in charges. i'm basically looking to just "insert" the data from the claims fields into the corresponding fields in charges. can this be down with a command button?

for instance if i am on record 27 of 100 in claims for jon doe and want his information in the charges form/table, can i click a button that will put the data from john does fields in charges? and so on as needed with other records in claims.

You can use an append query like Bottled mentioned above. You could set up the query to run with an click() event from the command button for instance. In order to get only some of the records to be appended, you'll just need to add some criteria to the WHERE clause in the SQL to narrow down the records you intend to take.

It would be a good idea not to hard code in the value(s) in your WHERE clause if you go that route. If instead you prompt the user for input, it'll make life easier than having to edit the query each time you want to change what records will be appended.
    If I had any wisdom to impart, I would do so here.

can you possibly give me an example? i am just using basic access 2003, no sql.

When you say "no sql", do you mean you're not familiar with it, or you don't have the permissions to do so? I haven't used the 2003 version myself, so there could be differences I'm not aware of also.

In order to have a button that will kick off an append query to do what is mentioned above, I believe you will either need to have a macro do it, or write it behind the scenes with VBA. Are macros and VBA in the same boat as sql for you?
    If I had any wisdom to impart, I would do so here.