Unanswered: not able to start db2

hi !!!!!!!
    m new to db2 , i have successfully installed the db2 software but m not been able to find its storage path .
    plz help me in accessing it ???

thankyou

Provided Answers: 5
    What DB2 version and OS are you using. Define what you mean by "storage path".

Andy

m using db2exc_9.7.0-8_i386.deb and os is ubuntu

storage path simply means that after the installation of db2 from where should i start it to access it

Login in as the instance owner (defaults to db2inst1, but you might have changed it during installation). Then issue "db2start". Then do all other DB2 tasks using the instance owner.

Andy

for "db2start" it was showing command not found
    and the path set is
    /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/opt/ibm/ibm-java2-i386-50/bin:/opt/ibm/ibm-java2-i386-50/jre/bin

Either your instance owner is not setup properly, or you are not logged in as the instance owner.

Andy

it's also not working as a root

how to find a url of db2 ???

It is not supposed to work with root, only the instance. When you did the install, did you set up the instance?

Andy

Red face

could you plz tell me how to find url of db2

I don't know what you mean by "url of db2". Like Andy said, you need to login as the DB2 instance owner id.

Check if you have this file: /var/db2/global.reg

If you do, you can view it using "strings /var/db2/global.reg"

This file will give you the instance name - for example db2inst1. If this file is empty or doesn't exist, then most likely the instance was not created. In this case, login as root and use db2icrt command to create it. See this URL for info on how to create an instance:
    IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX and Windows Information Center

Then, switch to the instance using "su - <instance name>" or login as <instance name> directly and execute db2start

Quote Originally Posted by ARWinner View Post
    Either your instance owner is not setup properly, or you are not logged in as the instance owner.

Andy
    Andy is right. Check if the home directory of the instance owner has a "sqllib" directory. If not, you didn't create the instance. You can use the "db2icrt" executable (in the location where you installed DB2, subdirectory "instance") for that. If you do have a sqllib directory, make sure that your .profile sources sqllib/db2profile. Otherwise, you won't have the PATH environment variable set up correctly.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development