Unanswered: Can I replicate x64 to x32 on SQL Server 2005?

On SQL Server 2005 Standard; is x64 to x32 replication supported?

Is it advisable?

Thanks for helping!

Provided Answers: 54
    Yes, Replication is supported between x64 and x43 and it is no problem at all for most types of replication.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Yes, Replication is supported between x64 and x43 and it is no problem at all for most types of replication.

-PatP
    Thanks Pat.

I forgot to ask another related question. Can the Distributor run on a Domain Controller? I don't find mention of it in "Best Practices" but DC often has trouble sharing.

I have a choice of that or having it shared on either the Subscriber or the Publisher.

Note: The Subscriber is read-only copy (delays don't matter).

Quote Originally Posted by vich View Post
    On SQL Server 2005 Standard; is x64 to x32 replication supported?

Is it advisable?
    As Pat has already mentioned. Yes you can. SQL Server databases are binary compatible between editions and processor architectures.

Thanks.

Any idea about interference from Domain Controller as the replica? It seems like typical SQL Server applications (such as Backup Exec) are OK to run on a DC but a full production replica database ... is there a conflict?

Quote Originally Posted by vich View Post
    Thanks.

Any idea about interference from Domain Controller as the replica? It seems like typical SQL Server applications (such as Backup Exec) are OK to run on a DC but a full production replica database ... is there a conflict?
    Not that I know of, but generally I wouldn't advise it. The tasks of a DC (authenticating users etc) could suffer when SQL Server starts competing on CPU and MEM resources.

Quote Originally Posted by kaffenils View Post
    Not that I know of, but generally I wouldn't advise it. The tasks of a DC (authenticating users etc) could suffer when SQL Server starts competing on CPU and MEM resources.
    It has dual-quad Xeon 5500 processors, 12GB RAM, and only about 40 users who almost exclusively do Intranet processes (local browser only) and don't normally log off. According to Task Manager it basically sits idle.

I'd want it to be the *Distributor*, not the Subscriber nor Publisher (those are both dedicated servers - similarly configured).

I'm not asking for trouble by pushing against recommended procedures; but if it won't interfere with the DC (minor occasional delays would be fine) it just seemed like a smarter use of resources because, I believe, my site would have better replication resilience against server failure.

Thanks for the help!

SQL Server will not interfere with the DC tasks. It seems to me that the server should handle both DC tasks and replication tasks just fine.

The only problem is that if you want to move the distributor to another server (with another server name), you'll have to set up replication from scratch. There is no documented way of moving distributor, publisher or subscribers to different server names without configuring replication all over, or initializing a new subscriber for the latter.