Hello,

I have problem with the error shown in the title,
    I created table msrmnts with columns
    ID - VARCHAR2(30 BYTE)
    date_time - VARCHAR2(30 BYTE)
    value - FLOAT
    TYPE_ID - varchar2(30 BYTE)

When I issue SQL command

SELECT value, date_time from msrmnts WHERE TYPE_ID='v9' AND date_time>=to_timestamp('01/01/2009', 'DD/MM/YYYY HH24:MIS')
    sqlplus sais

ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01849: hour must be between 1 and 12

I tried to change HH24 to HH12 and HH, also changing system time format on database and connecting machine but nothing helps.
    I have oracle 10g installed.

Any idea or help.
    Thanks.

to_timestamp('01/01/2009', 'DD/MM/YYYY HH24:MIS')

either add time to your first argument or remove the time element from your second argument.
    You will also have to convert your date_time column using to_timestamp.
    (And slap whoever decided to store dates in varchar columns!)

Many things wrong here...
    Firstly, your table definition defines the date_time column as a varchar2. That is absolutely evil. You are going to have continuous problems with comparing dates, not to mention the possibility of putty bogus data into your date_time column. The rule here is to always use the right data type i.e. use "date" datatype for this column.

Edit: This following paragraph is not correct (my appologies). But it's close... Oracle attempts to convert the VARCHAR2 (DATE_TIME column) into a TIMESTAMP... See my better response in my next post further down
    Furthermore you are attempting to compare your varchar2 column with a timestamp value
    date_time>=to_timestamp('01/01/2009', 'DD/MM/YYYY HH24:MIS'). Oracle will implicitly convert your timestamp to a varchar2 and then compare the value to the column. You are going to have totally wrong results depending on your NLS_* parameters.

Edit: Again, not true... You can use TO_TIMESTAMP with input text that is shorter than the format mask. I.e. TO_TIMESTAMP('01/01/2009', 'DD/MM/YYYY HH24:MIS') is perfectly legal. See my usage of this in my next post further down.
    The second thing here is that your string input to the to_timestamp function must match the date format string supplied exactly. So in your example, you would have to use:
    to_timestamp('01/01/2009 00:00:00', 'DD/MM/YYYY HH24:MIS')
    or
    to_timestamp('01/01/2009', 'DD/MM/YYYY')

Thirdly, a timestamp is used when you require a date value with precision down to the microsecond. If you only require precision to the second, then rather use to_date.
    Last edited by dayneo; 12-18-09 at 08:45. Reason: Correction required on untrue facts

Thanks on advice,
    I'll try to solve these issues, and to slap database creator (not me.

qaswed,

My apologies, I should have provided proof for some of the rubbish that I was telling you. Let me try again. This time, I will provide proofs.

"your table definition defines the date_time column as a varchar2"
    This statement is correct and is the entire source of your problem. When you compare the DATE_TIME column to the TO_TIMESTAMP, Oracle implicitly attempts to convert the DATE_TIME column from a VARCHAR2 datatype into a TIMESTAMP datatype. It does this using your NLS_* parameter and of course your NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT does not match the format of the data in the DATE_TIME column.

The following screen capture from my test database proving the point.
    Code:
    testuser@SANDBOX> CREATE TABLE MSRMNTS
      2  (
      3     ID        VARCHAR2(30 BYTE),
      4     DATE_TIME VARCHAR2(30 BYTE),
      5     VALUE     FLOAT,
      6     TYPE_ID   varchar2(30 BYTE)
      7  )
      8  /

Table created.

testuser@SANDBOX> INSERT INTO MSRMNTS(ID, DATE_TIME, VALUE) VALUES('1', '01/01/2009', 1);

1 row created.

testuser@SANDBOX> COMMIT;

Commit complete.

testuser@SANDBOX> SELECT * FROM V$NLS_PARAMETERS WHERE PARAMETER='NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT'
      2  /

PARAMETER
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    VALUE
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT
    DD/MON/RR

testuser@SANDBOX> SELECT VALUE, DATE_TIME FROM MSRMNTS WHERE DATE_TIME >= TO_TIMESTAMP('01/01/2009', 'DD/MM/YYYY HH24:MI:SS')
      2  /
    SELECT VALUE, DATE_TIME FROM MSRMNTS WHERE DATE_TIME >= TO_TIMESTAMP('01/01/2009
    ', 'DD/MM/YYYY HH24:MI:SS')
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01843: not a valid month

testuser@SANDBOX> ALTER SESSION SET NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT='DD/MM/YYYY'
      2  /

Session altered.

testuser@SANDBOX> SELECT VALUE, DATE_TIME FROM MSRMNTS WHERE DATE_TIME >= TO_TIMESTAMP('01/01/2009', 'DD/MM/YYYY HH24:MI:SS')
      2  /

VALUE DATE_TIME
    ---------- ------------------------------
             1 01/01/2009

testuser@SANDBOX>
    In the example above, I create your table and populate it with one record. The date_time column is populate with a value of '01/01/2009' which is in format 'dd/mm/yyyy'.

I then check the NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT and found mine set to 'DD/MON/RR' (yours may be different, but it is important that it is currently not the same as my date_time value format).

I then attempt to run your SQL, but receive the ORA-01843 that you did.

I then change the NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT to 'DD/MM/YYYY' and rerun the same SQL.

This time, I get a result.

Conclusion:
    The fact that your date_time column is not an Oracle DATE or TIMESTAMP datatype is going to cause you much headache in future. Trust me, I see it time and time and time again. Unpredictable errors occur, data gets corrupted and it is slower than just using the right thing to begin with.