Unanswered: Product DB Construction Direction Advice Sought

Hi everyone; chemist newish to Access,

I am moving my company's data from individual Excel files to one Access (07) db.

Each product currently has its own table and I my goal is to create a report of an individual record by the unique "Lot Number." Every product has different columns and my first question is should these be kept in their own table or combined into one "master table" with all of the columns many of which will be blank?

Welcome to the forums

What you're asking about concerns Relational Database Design, an important (although too often neglected) topic for anyone starting a database. Have a look at the article and then make your call how you'll design your table structure.

Cheers!
    Me.Geek = True

That is a fantastic page; much better than my Google results. Thank you.

I am still left questioning if I need the relationships. If I do not need a master table then the relationships would not be required, right?

Would I be able to run one query across multiple tables?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyswood View Post
    Each product currently has its own table and I my goal is to create a report of an individual record by the unique "Lot Number." Every product has different columns and my first question is should these be kept in their own table or combined into one "master table" with all of the columns many of which will be blank?
    Why does each product have different columns? Is it because they are fundamentally different types of product, or because they sometimes just don't have data for that column? Hint: This is where the rubber of the article meets the road, so to speak.

Unfortunately table structure questions are hard to answer definitively (at least for me) without having invested a bit of time into understanding the situation at wide-angle.
    Me.Geek = True

Let's get to the meat of the product

Some products are chlorine, some are iodine, and there are a few other measured specs as well (if useful - pics at Misc pictures by mikeyswood - Photobucket). There are currently three shared columns: Analyst, Lot, and Date Approved. The remaining columns are table dependent.