Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Why my Access Database Keeps Closing in Windows Vista and 7 when trying to open aform

Dear All,
    More than 3 months ago, I bought to computers one with vista and another one with windows 7, and since then every time I try to open a form or a report using one of the command buttons, the database keeps closing. and it gives a mesasge saying
    " Microsoft Access has stopped Working" Windows is looking for a solution, it will notify you if a solution is available"
    Then when I click on OK, it gives me another message saying "
    Microsoft Access has stopped Working, A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, windows will closty the program and will notify you if a solution is avaiable
    "It never happens with XP computers. It is so annoying and after many attemps then it works for a while and it keeps doing the same thing, I must say, it is Access 2002.

Is there any problem with vista or windows 7 or do I have to change settings etc to get this fixed. I just dont know how to fix this annoying problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Emal; 12-23-09 at 20:49.
    Emi-UK
    Love begets Love, Help Begets Help

It sounds to me like maybe a corruption issue. I'd at least suggest trying a recovery.

HTH, Cheers!
    Me.Geek = True

Are the results the same when you try opening the db while holding down a <SHIFT> key?
    RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP, ac07, ac10 - WinXP Pro, Win7 Pro
    Please reply to this forum so all may learn.

Thank you for your responses. I dont think it is a corruption issue as the same db works fine with no problem on Windows XP it is only on vista and windows 7.
    I tried opening the db by holding shift key and tried to run it that way and it still does the same thing. I am so tired of it in fact i am even thinking if i could down grade the windows to xp but they munfucturer wont guarantee my laptop and pc if i downgrade them.
    Emi-UK

Provided Answers: 59
    does the application compile on the machines that its failing on

it may be worthwhile to compact and repair the app
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for your response. I have compacted and repaired the db more than 8 times now and even tried some of the advice on recovery which Nkdryr suggested and still the same problem, now even i try to open the db it opens and the second i try to open a form or a report it closes.
    I tried to compile the db and it gives me an erro " Compile Error, Method or data member not found.
    Following is the code:
    Private Sub cmdNew_Click()
    Debug.Print "cmdNew_Click"

On Error GoTo Err_cmdNew_Click

DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec

ServiceID.SetFocus

Exit_cmdNew_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_cmdNew_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_cmdNew_Click

End Sub
    and the line breaks on ServiceID.SetFocus
    Emi-UK

I would check for bogus missing references.
    RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP, ac07, ac10 - WinXP Pro, Win7 Pro

I checked the references and only the following are ticked with no reference marked as missing:
    Visual Basic for Applications
    Microsoft Access 10.0 Object Library
    Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects2.1 Library
    Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0.0 (SP4)
    Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library
    OLE Automation
    Shockwave Flash
    Microsoft PowerPoint 10.0 Object LIbrary
    Microsoft DAO3.6 Object Library
    Windows Script Host Object Model
    Sage Data Objects 12.0

There are no other references checked.
    Emi-UK

Provided Answers: 19
    Well, the error would seem to indicate that ServiceID is not the name of a control on the form, or that it's the name of a control, such as a label, that cannot receive focus, or perhaps (I'm not sure about this) a control that is Disabled or Locked and Disabled and thus cannot receive focus.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

To be honest I could not work it out how to fix this. However, I don't think that only this particular problem should be the reason for the db to close when trying to open the db or in particular when trying to open a form or a report using a command button. I would really appreciate any help. Could this be a problem with Windows 7 and Vista? If so, is there any fix available for this problem? I am really having an extremely difficult time.
    Emi-UK

Maybe the OS's need the scoping reference of Me.
    Me.ServiceID.SetFocus

I can't guarantee it'll work, but I've been able to fix some very odd bugs by using the SaveAsText/LoadFromText method. It may be easier than reverting your whole system back to XP if it works.
    Me.Geek = True

Also, just did some Googling and found this, might help you.
    Me.Geek = True

I have a similar problem with Windows 7 where the database would open and the buttons would work, but the combo boxes will not auto-populate the text fields like they are supposed to do, and do in Win XP. The only solution I have found, in about 2 weeks of searching, is to run the DB in XP mode under Windows 7 Pro, which seems to be a virtual machine running XP. Then the DB works like it does on the regular XP machines. I will post if I discover anything useful.

would you be kind enough to let me know how to run the deb in XP mode under windows 7?
    Emi-UK