Unanswered: Noobie question about NAS server

Hi all,

I have been reading the threads with great interest for a few day's now. I have just started down the road of Database's, don't know anything yet, so I have a couple of questions.

My intensions are to run MySQL as a backend on a network storage drive, and have GUI as front end on 2 pc's. What type of freeware is available for running and designing a GUI ?
    Do I also need to run something in between the front end and the back end.

Provided Answers: 59
    esesentiallyu anythign that can talk to a MySQL server
    that includes RAD tools loke Access, probably Delphi
    it incvludes open office database
    it includes traditional languages like .NET, Java and so on
    depending on the the NAS server you use you could also run a webserver on that then you could use scripting langauges such as PHP, ASP or CGI or PERL or Python.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Even more confused !

Does that answer my question ?! I think not. I have no idea of what you mentioned. Why would I be running a webserver ? I have mentioned I'm a total noobie, yet you mention scripting language !

I appreciate your efforts to post, but now I am even more confused.

Provided Answers: 59
    OK so lets look at this another way

you are thinking of installing a NAS. many NAS devices these days run more than just network storage
    you mention you are thinking of runnign an instance of a MySQL server on the NAS, so that suggests to me that the device you are buying, whicvh you don't identify has more capability than 'just' being a NAS. its running a MySQL server, so it can probably run other services.

you mention you want to run some applciation on two PC's connected to the NAS, you mention you want a GUI application. so as I read it your options are

either run the MySQL server on the NAS, write an application in either Access, Delphi or a traditional language such as .NET or Java

or

assuming your NAS supports running a webserver consider a web scripting language like PHP, ASP/ASP.NET, PERL Python and so on.

if your NAS can run other services then you coudl run somethign like Squeezebox server to provide music on demand to your home. the question I suppose is, is how capable is your proposed NAS box, is it a dedicated network storage box providing storage for any attached PC or is it a server box which can provide numerous services to a small network

the difference between the two is that the web scripting requires there to be a webserver somewhere, and many NAS's use a webserver as a mechanism of managing the NAS. so your NAS may already come with the webserver capable of supporting a web scripting language such as PHP. that means your GUI is web forms in a browser.

you asked for free ydpont get much cheaper than MySQL server and Apache, runnign a acripting language like PHP.
    Python is free, so Is Java. .NET isn't, ASP may or may not run on a webserver.

ultimately its your call, after all you know what NAS you are thinking of buying, presumably you know what that NAS can support. without knowing in detail what it can or can't do all that can be be done is to suggest alternatives. if its confused you then I'm sorry, but mebbe thats apart of the problem in that you have already confused yourself by not identifying what you want beyond vague generalisations
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton