Need a bit of guidance

Hello all! I'm trying to figure out the best product to help me design and deploy a new web database. I really like the look and feel of an ajax interface and would prefer to run on MySQL as that is what I have installed on my home server. Here is a short list of the feel and basic features I would like to have:
    1. type
    2. make
    3. model
    4. item one based on fit from model
    5. item two based on fit from model
    6. email or PDF print your list
    7. login to save your profile and list
    8. Word Press compatibility if possible

I'm probably not putting the best words into what I have in mind as this type of dbase is new to me, however, I have built a couple of multi table dbase's with forms and subforms in Access.

Could someone point me into the correct direction?

Thanks!
    Last edited by sdgenxr; 12-27-09 at 12:52.

I'm probably not putting the best words into what I have in mind
    No kidding. I have no idea what you're trying to do.

Try this: In twenty words or less, explain why someone would visit this website you're working on.

Quote Originally Posted by sco08y View Post
    No kidding. I have no idea what you're trying to do.

Try this: In twenty words or less, explain why someone would visit this website you're working on.
    Geese, after rereading what I wrote, I can't even make heads or tails of it!

Ok, here is what I would like to accomplish. The basic premise is have visitors be able to pick from a list of available options to build a bike part by part from the frame down to the brakes. Each selection would be either a drop down list or a pick list that would be dependent on a specification on the frame or other component. Once all options are selected, the visitor would then have the option to either print out their selected build or sign in and email or save the build for future use or modification.

Hopefully that is a better description of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

so which bit are you struggling with
    the data design
    the website
    AJAX
    personally I'd learn to walk before you can run.. getting AJAX to work can be troublesome especially if you are not especially up to speed with JAVA HTML and PHP.

for the data I can see you would need a simple db which allocated parts by by part category.
    you need some mechanism to know which parts work with which other parts. ferinstance some parts may be either or (eg you can have one brake type for front and rear, yet you may have multiple other accessories such as lights, reflectors and so on.

some things are mandatory..... (assuming the site only sells complete bikes) eg you must have a frame, some wheels, chainset and so on.

you need the ability to store a users name, preferences and so on
    you need to decide if you will allow a user to have more than one bike build
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton