Unanswered: Records randomly disappearing?

I am a newbie at this (self taught), and can usually research and figure things out, but this has me stumped. I set up a database (MS Access 2003) for appointments. The database is shared between 2-4 people on a network. Just a basic table, a form for entering the information (user friendly for those that are not computer-savvy), a couple of queries and a couple of reports. Nothing fancy. The problem is, entries appear to be randomly disappearing from the table. I thought that it was "user error" at first, but then I experienced it first hand. I have the database options set to Shared, and I have Default record locking set to Edited record. Did I miss something? I tried searching for a solution on Google, but didn't come up with much. I tried searching this forum specifically, but didn't really see any previous posts that addressed the issue. For now, I have had to have the scheduling area go back to an Excel spreadsheet, but the issue is driving me crazy! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can follow step-by-step instructions and understand the basics, just keep things in layman's terms for me

in my years of db development have never had records disappear. have you eyeballed the actual tables themselves??

Are you by chance having a form/subform relationship involving 2 tables? In which case the cross referencing field's data isn't being entered into the subform....and therefore will not show when you go back to that parent record.

Another possibility is that you have the form entry - and the record is not totally completed when the form closes and the record is not entering due to its "dirty" state...to sanity check this just verify tabbing forward to the next new record vs not tabbing forward and see...

Provided Answers: 59
    I'd agree, rows don't get deleted by magic, unless you have some network issues.
    check all code for delete satatements
    if there are none then I'd suggest you redesign the app.

instead of deleting rows flag them as no longer visible, alter your forms so the only show unglagged rows.

if you don't want to do that then plug in some code on the relevant controls on delete events. record the computer and user id of the person who did the delete. you will probably need to write these to a new table.

if you want to then you can add a narrative identifying what was delete (eg customer:blah deleted at hh:mm:ss

if you see records being deleted then you should have a matching entry in the new table.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

There is only one table and one form, which is why I thought it was so bizarre. But the same problem happened a different database (not one I set up) and a different user. They were records that had been there before, and then all of a sudden were no longer there. They were not hidden, they were not manually deleted (to my knowledge), they were just gone. The only thing I could come up with was that maybe there was something in the network causing issues... (Then again, as this is such a large work space, I cannot be certain that it was not user error on their end.)

In my problem-solving mode, I even went to one computer, entered a test record, and then went to another computer to confirm that it had been entered and saved. This is driving me friggin crazy because it makes absolutely no sense. I will try and build it again from scratch and see what happens. My only fail-safe at this point is to back it up on my desktop every evening just in case a record comes up missing the next day...

I thought maybe it was something I was doing wrong, but it sounds like others are stumped as well. If anyone else has had this issue and resolved, please let me know

Provided Answers: 59
    Personally I think you have user issues...
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 1

Disappearing Records

I have been using Access for 10 years, and have never had a case of records disappearing. I too suspect user rights issues on a network. I don't know, however, how to check the raw tables under Access' Administrator rights (frankly, I know nothing about Access record locking and access on a network). However, try checking them under the network administrator's rights.

John Smith
    Guangxi University
    Nanning, China

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by SRR View Post
    The database is shared between 2-4 people on a network.
    When really odd things start happening you really have to consider corruption, and multiple users sharing a single non-split database on a network is a great source of chronic corruption. Is your database split with a copy of the front end on each user's PC?

Quote Originally Posted by SRR View Post
    I can follow step-by-step instructions and understand the basics, just keep things in layman's terms for me
    And this is really not meant as criticism of you but merely as a statement of fact: If replies to your post have to be kept in "layman's terms," this project, on a network with multiple users, is probably way over your head. Too many people, especially "suits," buy into the Microsoft hype about "anyone can develop a database in Access!" and people without the proper knowledge get stuck trying to develop/fix them as a result.
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 01-04-10 at 11:06.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007