Unanswered: Not a Valid Bookmark

When I open an Access 2007 database backend and doubleclick on the table name BILL of MAT, I get the message "Not a valid bookmark". When I look at the table properties, the Owner property is blank. If I try to compact and repair the backend I get "Unrecognized database format (path to database backend)". The strange thing is the database is using the table correctly. I can enter data that uses the table and the data is properly retained. Furthermore, I was able to export the table data to Excel and import it back into a table Bill_of_Mat. The data in Bill_of_Mat looks good. I was hoping to rename BILL of MAT and then rename Bill_of_Mat to BILL of MAT. This won't work because when I try to rename or delete BILL of MAT I get the message "Not a valid bookmark".

All of the problems outlined above are recent. I don't understand any of this. I suppose I could change all of the references to BILL of MAT to Bill_of_Mat, but I am still concerned about the "Unrecogized database format..." message. How can the database be working correctly, and still have these error messages?

If I resort to using a backup copy of the database I will lose a lot of work.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Charles

Is it actually the table and not a bookmark? Also, I don't suppose you've tried running repair and compact?

If you have to fall back to a backup, you can transfer all your changes over. Make a backup of the backup before you do that.

(If you're not sure how to run repair or compact, or transfer objects, look those phrases up in the help system.)

Not a Valid Bookmark

Yes, I am clicking on a table name. I don't understand how a bookmark fits in here. The help information on bookmark does not show any bookmark/table connection. As I mentioned in my original post, I tried to compact and repair the database and got the message about the database backend having an unrecognized format.

I can't run Microsoft Office Diagnostics because the database is not on an internet-connected computer. The diagnostic software tries to connect to the internet. I cannot connect the computer to the internet since it is designated as a standalone machine and must never be connected to the internet. I don't have much confidence in the diagnostics anyway.

Upon checking this morning, I found a different symptom when trying to open the table BILL of MAT. Now I am getting "Unrecognized database format...".

I tried copying the Bill_of_Mat table to BILL of MAT (overwriting it), but got the "Not a valid bookmark" error.

Unless someone on this forum has a better idea, I think I am stuck with reverting to a backup database and trying to import the new data into it. Of course, I will have to use my Bill_of_Mat table data to append to or overwrite the BILL of MAT table data. It appears that the other tables are not corrupted.

Provided Answers: 1
    You're not trying to run a BOM system off an Access database on a machine that never receives office updates... are you?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Not a Valid Bookmark

Yes. There are a number of reasons for this.
    • The backend is on an intranet. At this facility intranets cannot be tied in any way to the internet.
    • In this facility an internet-connected computer is standardized and cannot be changed by the user. This standarization severly limits user privileges.
    • The limitation of privileges causes some applications, such as CAD software, to malfunction. The only practical solution we have found is to run such applications on standalone computers.
    • For some applications we can download patches/upgrades on the intranet machine and transfer them via CD to the standalone. For others this is not so easy.

Furthermore, I don't think lack of upgrades/patches is causing my problems. Every several weeks something in the database gets corrupted. I can think of nothing that the users can do to cause this. The database is fairly complex. I don't know if this is a common problem with Access or I am just unlucky.

I encounter similar problems on AC-2003..
    Not-a-valid-Bookmark
    But it is DIFFICULT to say, if you are the same..
    15 years db-programmer(dBase,FoxPro,MS Access 2002/2003),Symbian C++

Not a Valid Bookmark

I am past that problem now. I took a blank BILL of MAT table and did a cut and paste of the old table records into the new table. Now I can read the table with no error. I have a new problem which I haven't posted yet since I am still working on it.