The Business Intelligence Specialist role is to strategically design and implement BI software and systems, including integration with databases and data warehouses. This includes selecting, blueprinting, gathering requirements, designing, and rolling out BI solutions to end users. The Business Intelligence Specialist is also responsible for ensuring high levels of BI availability through support functions and in-depth testing.
· Assess and cultivate long-term strategic goals for BI development in conjunction with end users, managers, clients, and other stakeholders.
· Direct, organize, and lead projects in the implementation and use of new BI software tools and systems.
· Lead the integration efforts for merging BI platforms with enterprise systems and applications.
· Design, code, test, and document all new or modified BI systems, applications, and programs.
· Develop the semantic layer, metadata, reports, and report definitions. Develop graphs and portal interfaces.
· Assist in the design of databases and data warehouses to ensure interoperability with BI solutions.
· Analyze user requirements and, based on findings, design functional specifications for BI front-end applications.
· Work with project managers to ensure that data entry, retrieval, change and delete functions meet business requirements for project completion.
· Conduct job duties and responsibilities according to the organizationâ?Ts business systems development methodology and/or its Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodology.
· Design and deliver end-user training and training materials; provide technical support as necessary.
· Troubleshoot BI tools, systems, and software; performance-tune these applications as necessary.
· Act as evangelist for BI benefits across the organization; promote BI usage to relevant departments.
· Evaluate and select database/data warehouse components, including hardware, relational database management systems, ETL software, metadata management tools, and database design solutions.
· Conduct research and make recommendations on BI products, services, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
· Mentor and/or provide leadership to junior members of the team.
· College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science, information systems, or computer engineering.
· Minimum of 7 years direct work experience.
· Certifications in Microstrategy a plus: Microstrategy Certified Developer (MCD), Microstrategy Certified Engineer (MCE) or Microstrategy Certified Engineering Principal (MCEP).
· Comprehensive data warehouse analysis and design experience, with full knowledge of data warehouse methodologies and data modeling.
· Experience with tier-one applications, databases especially: Oracle and Netezza
· Expertise in Microstrategy (8.x/9.x)tools, such as Intelligence Server, Report Services, OLAP Services, Architect, Object Manager, Enterprise Manager and SDK.
· Demonstrated ability with MS Windows, UNIX, AIX, and Linux operating systems.
· Strong ability to analyze user requirements and build front-end BI applications according to specifications.
· Strong understanding of relational database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
· Full project management and development life cycle experience.
· Experience with database design applications, including ErWin, ER Studio, or similar ER tool.
· Experience with data processing flowcharting techniques.
· Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
· Strong understanding of the organizationâ?Ts goals and objectives.
· Good knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
· Strong written and oral communication skills.
· Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
· Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.