Thread: Choosing an OS

Question Unanswered: Choosing an OS

I'm looking to set up a dedicated postgreSQL server, and trying to work out which OS to use - windows, linux, or a unix box. From what I've read, it seems to be dependent on the application of the database, is there somewhere I can find more information on the pros and cons? There will be about 100 computers with multiple applications querying....a lot, i guess... i'm not sure how to figure out how many queries per second or minute (they all use a local database at the moment), or how much is a lot, but it's all time critical, and needs real time response.

Thanks in advance.

100 concurrent users would be fine with any of the three OS's. From what I've read, Linux/Unix OS's are better than Windows when it comes to large numbers of concurrent users, though. So, if expansion may be in the future, it could be better to start with a Linux server at the start.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

The answer to your question largely depends on the expertise of your staff. That is a fairly small workload, so unless you are doing really complex queries or have billions of rows you'll be fine. But it doesn't make any sense to recommend Solaris if no one there knows how to use it.