Microsoft Access has stopped working- please help!

Dear All,
    I have written the same issue under a different thread but had no luck with this. Basically, I am using Windows 7 HP laptop. I have an Access 2002 Database which works perfectly fine with 3 other computers which are XP Pro but it is a nightmare on this Windows 7 Laptop.

Everytime I try to work on the DB i.e. open forms, click on command buttons to open a report or navigate through Queries etc, suddently a message pops up saying "Microsoft Access has stopped working". then it says" A problem caused the program to stop working correctly etc. then at the end it says close the program, when i close the program nothing happens and sometimes i repons a new window.

I have set the Pop UP propery to Yes on most of the forms but even this did not work. I have run the Repair on Ms Access and other office applications using control panel and directly from access, still no luck. It is just a nightmare,

any help would be greatly appreciated. I am even thinking of as to whether it is possible and allowed to downgrade Windows 7 and my Windows Vista Home Premium both to Windows XP pro as both of these two new computers have the same issue.
    Last edited by Emal; 01-07-10 at 21:13. Reason: missing words
    Emi-UK
    Love begets Love, Help Begets Help

Usually the culprit for this is either the MSOffice installation needs to be repaired (which you tried) or there's an API module in the MSAccess application which Windows 7 doesn't like. If you're using modules such as the mousewheel.dll module (to disable the mousewheel) in the mdb, these can cause problems on different versions of Windows (and MSAccess.) Or your using the "Filter" command on the data (see last note below.)

I might create a very simple mdb and then test. If that tests ok, then create a cloned copy of your problematic mdb and start removing modules and code (or start fresh and import) and then test.

Look at what events fire when you get the error (ie. OnLoad, OnOpen events of a form.) You should be able to narrow it down to something specific (ie. when Form XYZ opens or when you click on FieldX or when you click Button A, then Button B, etc....) If not, then look at what code fires when the mdb first opens. Also look for code which "Filters" data as this tends to be problematic between Windows versions of MSAccess (and MSAccess versions.)

I found the "Filter" command to be unreliable and instead use criteria in my queries versus the Filter command! For example, every time I open an mdb in MSAccess 2007 which was created in MSAccess 2003 (and uses the Filter command), that mdb crashes when the user clicks a button which uses the Filter command on the data. If I upsize the mdb to 2007, it works fine (but I have some users who are using 2003).
    Last edited by pkstormy; 01-08-10 at 21:59.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

What exactly crashes ?
    AC-HELP-SYSTEM INFO-OFFICE FAULT
    Code:
    Event	Application Failure
    Application	msaccess.exe
    Version	10.0.6771.0
    Module	vbe6.dll
    Module Version	6.5.10.24
    Offset	0004abb6
    Date	08/11/2008 01:34:44 PM
    15 years db-programmer(dBase,FoxPro,MS Access 2002/2003),Symbian C++

Thank you for your response. Yes, you are right, i did try to fix the MS Office as a whole and i did this twice but to no avail. Yes i do have some modules used in the DB but not such as mousewheel.dl.

The modules are just simple moduels for some required required functions on the DB. one of them look like this:

Option Compare Database

Public Sub CreateDesktopShortcut(strShortcutTitle As String, _
    Optional strTargetPath As String = "")
    On Error Resume Next

Dim oShell As IWshShell_Class
    Dim oShortcut As IWshShortcut_Class
    Dim vItem As Variant
    Dim vType As Variant

strShortcutTitle = "Emi"

Set oShell = New IWshShell_Class

If strTargetPath = "" Then
    strTargetPath = CurrentDb.Name
    End If

For Each vItem In oShell.SpecialFolders
    If Mid(vItem, Len(vItem) - 6, 7) = "Desktop" And _
    InStr(1, vItem, "All Users") = 0 And _
    InStr(1, UCase(vItem), "ADMINISTRATOR") = 0 Then
    Set oShortcut = oShell.CreateShortcut(vItem & "\" & strShortcutTitle & ".lnk")

oShortcut.TargetPath = strTargetPath
    oShortcut.Save
    End If
    Next

End Sub
    The second moduel is used to autolink tables on the front ends and the 3rd one is to disable the bypass key.
    Look at what events fire when you get the error (ie. OnLoad, OnOpen events of a form.)
    often the problem occures (the db crashes) when I click on a command button, open a form using a command button, loading a report and also when also when attaching an attachment to Ms Outlook (2002), i Know it is not relevant to mention about MS Oulook in here but I might have some relevance.

Yes, there are some "Filter" commands used on some of the Reports which basically looks like this:

Filter .............(StatementRaised = 0)
    Filter On..........No
    Your note mentions that I could use " Criteria in my queries, but can you please tell me how to get the same result from a query using Criteria which I am getting at the moment using Filter?
    Emi-UK

Hi, thank you for you response. Bascially the whole db closes and i have to reopen it when it crashes. Sometimes the db closes even without clicking any button or opening any form but this only happens now and again.
    Emi-UK

Hmmm.....random crashing (on any computer I'm assuming) and no way to pinpoint a specific event causing the crash.......

I believe you said you compacted and repaired the mdb (as well as debug/compile the code)

I have someone at work who's testing MSAccess mdb's with Windows 7 and hasn't come across any major problems. It seems like you're pretty sure it's something with the Windows 7 os box?

Some ideas:
    1. the DisableShiftkey worries me. It's not a technique I prefer myself. This is one area I might look at for problems.
    2. possibly a setting in the windows 7 environment (doubtful) Are the MSAccess versions different?
    3. Import all the objects (forms, queries, modules, reports, etc..) into a brand new mdb, debug/compile compact/repair.
    4. Make sure you have a default printer assigned to the computer. I've had many mysterios crashes only to find out there was no default printer.
    5. Your application sounds like it's got a lot of non-typical MSAccess coding in it. Eliminating things like the Outlook code etc... might help but I'm just guessing here (unless it's a simple docmd.sendobject command.)

Have you tried create a separate mdb (using Windows 7) and testing it ONLY on windows 7?

It seems to me though that some code (maybe the Filter code) or other menu-type commands or possibly the dynamic linking is problematic, especially if both os versions seem to be using it. There are still a lot of non-typical functions (such as outlook code, disableshiftkey, dynamic linking etc...) that have not been fully tested on windows 7 (even though it shouldn't matter). Sorry - that's not much help. It's very possible that windows 7 is interpreting something different than the other os (although this problem usually is between MSAccess versions where you have some users on 2007 and others on 2003.)

You may also want to start with a new mdb and slowly import certain forms/tables and test. If that tests ok, import a few more forms and 1 or 2 of the API type modules and test. It's a slow process but it helps for the future.

Here's a link which may or may not be helpful:
    http://www.dbforums.com/6356210-post76.html
    http://www.dbforums.com/6366815-post77.html

There just some basic checklist items on speeding things up (tips and what to look for) but hopefully one of the items will trigger something to look at.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 01-12-10 at 23:30.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)