Unanswered: Analyze Application Activity -- What is important ?

Hello friends,

In one of my production databases, we are experiencing few inconsistencies. Slowness that sometimes turns out to be crash, and some times one process gets hung. Also I see one application does not seem to release locks on one table even after it is done. (State changes to UOW-WAIT). IBM Software Support did not find anything so far.
    At this stage company wants me to do some extensive, ongoing investigation on running applications. One must be mis behaving.
    Can some one help me by listing all the parameters to be monitored, also specifying hourly, daily, weekly or monthly with regard to application behaviour and of course application performance.

We are using DB29.5 FP 4 on Win2K3

Thanks for your time,

DBFinder

Provided Answers: 5
    You are going to have to do this on a test system. That is the only way you will be able to correlate what is happening in the applications to what is happening in the database. I would suggest that you set up all of the available event monitors and have them running from the start. Then run the applications one at a time, so you can determine what happens in the database based on what is happening in the applications.

Andy

Thanks,
    Yes, I believe that you are thinking of an Ideal testing environment. These steps need exactly clone system and all applications to run to same level of work-load.
    Alternatively I will prefer to prob some parameters related to applications. I am thinking of creating a table for some applications to log data related to application behavoir. Then by reviewing history, also in event of crash or slowdown I guess the applicatin can be tracked down.
    In this direction, can some one advise me what to watch. I mean what parameters to watch if we are have PKGCACHE overflow issues.

Thanks again ARWinner

DBFinder