Unanswered: Database analyzer - is there one?

Are there programs that can analyze a database (going through foreign keys etc), and give you a nice diagram of the database?

I need to reverse engineer a SQL Server database in order to convert data from it.

Provided Answers: 11
    Embarcaderro has a product called DBArtisan. Microsoft's Visio might be able to do it. Depends on your budget. Google around for ERWIN packages.

Thx for the Embarcadero tip! Browsing around their site, I also found ER/Studio Data Architect and that one together with DBArtisan will be a big help. At EUR 1000+1500, they're way out of my startup shoestring budget, but the 14 day trial period for the demos will be enough to complete the reverse engineering I need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna-J View Post
    Thx for the Embarcadero tip! Browsing around their site, I also found ER/Studio Data Architect and that one together with DBArtisan will be a big help. At EUR 1000+1500, they're way out of my startup shoestring budget, but the 14 day trial period for the demos will be enough to complete the reverse engineering I need to do.
    I use DBArtisan, to tell the truth, not worth the money. It doesn't let me manage Agent or DTS/SSIS jobs well (at all), and I need to go to EM and MS anyway, and I do not like their error reporting, sometimes object management becomes a bit clumsy and too wrapped in the GUI. RapdidSQL (more of a SQL development tool from Embarcardero), is good for what is does, and a bit cheaper.

Good luck with that 14 day'er, you are going to have someone haunting you to no end to buy the product.

I use Microsoft Visio for reverse engineering and diagrams. It shows all your relationships, primary keys, foreign keys, indexes, types etc.
    -----------------------------------
    Free SQL server monitoring for DBA's
    SQL DBA manager by BlueThames.com

toad data modeler is pretty nice, it connects to anything

Embarcadero is nice, but you gotta be rich

Provided Answers: 2
    If you need more than one tool from Embarcadero, check out their All-Access offer.
    Florin Aparaschivei
    DB2 9.7, 10.5 on Windows
    Iasi, Romania

Quote Originally Posted by PMASchmed View Post
    Good luck with that 14 day'er, you are going to have someone haunting you to no end to buy the product.
    That's why temporary GMail accounts for trial registrations are so handy .