Unanswered: Paradox 11 database help

I am very new to paradox but my company is using paradox 11, today our database went corrupt. We recovered the database from back up and when we try to search the program freezes. I have a feeling that there are too many records. I need to find a way to search by date and remove or archive old information. Let me know what addition information is required. Thank you for your help.

first, the mandatory caveat.. you have a business running on a platform that's been dead and vastly un-supported for the past decade.. if you aren't well into a replacement process, you're an accident waiting to happen, and this might be that accident..

there are MANY possible issues here, internal and/or external.. if something really failed, and it was already bad in the last backup, the problems could be compounded, of course..

to start:

what error messages did you get?
    what errors in the backup?
    how old is the backup?
    how big are the main tables (in MB)?

the odds of "too many records" are slim.. you can't remove data that is linked to other data, even old data, unless you understand the links and what will happen if the data is removed.. "data integrity".. so that's the LAST thing that you'll want to do..

the most common problem is simply out-of-synch data and indexes.. usually easy to fix if that's the problem.. also usually easy to prevent going forward, if certain external rules and parameters are followed..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

We did not recieve any error messages, or at least any that I could see.
    The back up is from 1-9-10.
    The MB file is 1,008kb.

if there are no errors, what made you decide that it was corrupt?
    what files did you restore from the backup?
    and even more important, did you make a CURRENT backup first?

I didn't ask how big the MB file was, I asked how big the main DB files are..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Sorry about that the main db file is 63,000kb. The reason we think it corrupted is it when blank and showed no data. The files I restored from back up are
    filename.mbo filename.mb and filename.db. I still have the file in it oringal form so I still have a back up of the "corrupted" file.

don't know what "mbo" is, but the other two are the main data file and an associated file that holds memo/blob info.. are there any other files with that filename?
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Yes, there are files with that name but i didn't not restore them from the back up.
    Filename.px
    Filename.pxo
    Filename.txt
    Filename.val

the mbo and pxo must be copies/backups that somebody made.. the txt most likely an ascii/csv export.. but the px and val are part of the "table" and must be together and in-synch with the db.. failure to pass them along with the db and mb is why it froze when you tried to use it.. pass all four together from scratch and try again.. but do *not* try to make any data changes.. this is just a first-step test.. and it might let you run a few reports, view the data, etc..

let's get that out of the way first, then discuss what might be wrong..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Paradox

I am an expert level developer of Paradox and ObjectPal. I will be happy to assist you. EMail me directly (john.chambers121 at gmail) with contact info and I will provide the assistance you require. Thank you. John

Quote Originally Posted by john.chambers121 View Post
    I am an expert level developer of Paradox and ObjectPal. I will be happy to assist you. EMail me directly (john.chambers121 at gmail) with contact info and I will provide the assistance you require. Thank you. John
    Please keep assistance on the forum not via email.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.