Unanswered: Key column information is insufficient or incorrect. Too many rows were affected...

"Key column information is insufficient or incorrect. Too many rows were affected by update. "

This is the error message I am getting when I am trying to change a row's data. the field was a char and I changed that to a varchar because there was some spaces causing a different error. I'm an admin and have access so I'm not sure what the problem is.
    Any help is appreciated!

Joel

Provided Answers: 1
    You have no primary key on your table.
    Add a surrogate key, such as an Identity column,
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Thanks for the reply.
    Do I need to add a key? currently there is none (like you said) but I'm wondering if adding one is going to change anything??

Sorry I'm new to all this stuff and just don't want to mess up this production DB...since the company I work for doesn't seem to believe in dev boxes.

I meant to add - is there anyway to add a key that isn't a primary key? Like this surrogate key you're talking about. I've never heard of and I don't see anywhere in SQL server enterprise manager to add one.

Thanks again.

A surrogate key is a modelling concept. A common SQL Server implementation is an IDENTITY column, or a GUID. You must still define these as unique to make them surrogate key columns.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.