Unanswered: SSIS Connection manager not skipping specified header rows

I am experiencing a problem with a header row in a flat file not being skipped. When I preview it in Visual Studio everythign is fine, but when I run the package, it tries to process the header row, resulting in an error. The configuration of the connection manager is set from an XML configuration file so that the package can be deployed to successive environments (Development, Test, Production) without changes to the package proper.
    When I disable using configurations and set all of the parameters in the package, it works. Apparently, it DOES NOT READ THIS PARAMETER FROM THE .DTSConfig FILE.

The entry below shows that the HeaderRowsToSkip is properly set to 1.

<Configuration ConfiguredType="Property" Path="\Package.Connections[US_Dealer_file].Properties[HeaderRowsToSkip]" ValueType="Int32">
    <ConfiguredValue>1</ConfiguredValue>

I'm at a loss here, and can't find any mention online of anyone else experiencing this problem. Any ideas?

NOTE: I have had the suggestion of turning on the ColumnNamesInFirstDataRow property, but the first row is NOT column headers. It is data about the file: user who generated it, date and time, etc. If I use this, it invalidates tansformations because it doesn't have the same headers the next time a file arrives. This file comes from one of our largest customers and is a general file sent to all of their accounts so we cannot request it be changed.

That's why I use bulk insert, can't be bothered with DTS/SSIS for importing text files.

Unhappy Bulk insert is limited

Unfortunately, Bulk insert is limited in help, because the file is also not delimited. I'm trying a mechanism of putting an ID column on the temp table and then deleting where the id is 1. Pathetic...

It's also not just an insert, but a looping through multiple files and doing much processing.

Un-<expletive>-believable. When I ran command-line (using DTExec.exe vs. DTExecUI) it ran. Que?

So I looked into it further, and found that when I double-clicked on the package to execute it, it was selecting the SQL 2005 DTExecUI. Registry entry vs. PATH statement.

So apparently the problem is in the SQL 2005 DTExecUI, which won't be a problem in production since the 2008 systems don't HAVE SQL 2005 on them to interfere.

I hate opaque configuration mechanisms.