Unanswered: Former Filemaker User

Hi All,

I have used Filemaker a fair bit and am now starting to learn Access. I need some advise on creating the following:

I have a table called 'flights' which contains ID and 'flightnumber'

I have a table called 'passengers' which contains ID and 'passengername'

I need a form which shows the flight, with a subform showing the passengers on that flight. I need to be able to enter the passengers in the subform and have them allocated to that flight.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

I would rename ID to FltID

if the passenger table has the FltID & passenger name - - then that is a cross referencing field and it will be really simple...

make a main form sourced on your flights table; then iinsert a subform into it that is another form sourced on the passenger table - - the wizard will step you thru it...

Thank you.

Earlier I created just as you suggested with a FlightID in the passenger table. Using the Form wizard I created a form based on the flight, with a subform shownig the passengers in a datasheet. The problem was when I enter a new row in passengers it doesn't automatically assign the FlightID and they therefore do not appear in the datasheet.

In Filemaker, it would be called 'Creating a record in a related table' but I can't work out how Access would achieve this.

Cheers

it should.

if one inserts a subform into a form; the wizard will prompt for the cross referencing field between the two - and assuming you enter it - then whenever you add a record to the subform the cross referencing value is added automatically...

doublecheck by trying again.

Hey thanks, it is working now.

How can I set it up so when I delete the parent record it deletes the linked subform records at the same time?

Don't want to be a pain, just Access has a signifcantly different workflow to Filemaker

In the relationship design window, put a check next to "Cascade Delete" under "Enforce Referential Integrity".

That should do the trick for you.

Sam
    Good, fast, cheap...Pick 2.