Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Installing Connection Manager

Using Win2k3, Oracle 10.2.0.4.

I would like to install connection manager, but can't use the 10.2.0.1 install as this is earlier than my current install, and the 10.2.0.4 'install' is only a patch.

To keep the server 'tidy' I would like to install cman into my existing home.

So, is there a way of installing Cman into my existing (10.2.0.4) Oracle home?

Thanks for any help you can give.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

You can use the 10.2.0.1 install, you don't have a choice really. Just install CMAN from 10.2.0.1 and then patch it to 10.2.0.4. If you're only installing CMAN it won't modify your other components and the patch set won't hurt anything either.

Run through it in a test environment first to get comfortable and get your process down.
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com

Thnaks Drew. I was hoping to install cman in my existing 10.2.0.4 oracle_home, but I'm guessing from your answer that the only choice is as I feared - install in to a new 10.2.0.1 oracle_home & then patch that home up to 10.2.0.4. Not as tidy as I would have liked (i.e. I'll have 2 homes instead of the 1 that I wanted), but heigh ho, if that's what needs to be done...

But thanks for looking at this for me
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

No, actually what I was trying to was was just install the base version right into your existing Oracle Home, do a custom install and choose to install CMAN only, you won't hurt your existing home. After you install it, go ahead and install the patch set again, it'll only patch the things that need patching. I've done this numerous times for customers with no issues.

Like I said, if the process makes you nervous, set up a test to try it out before doing it on your production Oracle home.
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com

Drew, sorry - I now understand what you're saying. My problem was that I was trying to use the already installed (10.2.0.4) Oracle Installer to install CMan, instead of doing (as you suggest) a custom install of 10.2.0.1.

It all makes sense now - Thanks!