Unanswered: Query execution in detail

Hi,

1) Can anybody tel me where i will get the material to read in detail about "query execution"(parsing, optimization, execution plan, .. etc) in db2 UDB LUW?

I googled it a lot.. but couldn't find it in detail (with diagrammatically).

2) I read for memory model and the process model (as in below link)

Memory model:
    The DB2 UDB memory model

Process Model:
    Everything You Wanted to Know About DB2 Universal Database Processes

But the complete process flow and step by step execution is not clear to me.

Can you provide me any useful links which can clear these concepts?

Thanks in advance!

Provided Answers: 5
    What is it specifically that you want to know?

Andy

Hi Andy,

I want to know:

1. How an sql query is executed. for example who parse it, where it get parsed (& involved processes), how Execution plan is prepared and chosen an optimal one, the memory & processes involved it this..etc
    When precompiler comes into picture and the processes interacting with it.

2. working & functioning of all memory parts in exact sequence while executing a query or doing any other specific task. Also the coordination of processes involved in it and memory interaction of these processes.

3. What happens when we do COMMIT or ROLLBACK (which processed and memory part involved and the flow). i.e. equivalent of UNDO tablespace (or Rollback segment) of Oracle in DB2.

This stuff i would like to know.

This is mostly stuff that you can find in any lecture about database system architecture/implementation.

Regarding the specific DB2 process model and memory management, you'll find some presentations via Google.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Hello dbguide,

i also searched for it but didn't get that much success. IBM should prepare some official docs on this.
    We can find in detail working of Oracle memory & processes in Oracle press notes easily. This part is also included in Oracle's certification syllabus. But IBM haven't included memory and process related chapters in its db2 certification syllabus. Don't know why!!!

You were asking about absolute basics of "database system architecture". Whole books have been written about that. Publishing yet another book about that seems to be a bit pointless.

Now, your latest question is on the process model and memory model of DB2. In my perspective, that's a different question now (or at least a more precise question). The memory and process models of DB2 are documented and you can look into the manuals, various redbooks and also conference proceedings/presentations if you'd like a more colorful overview.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development