Unanswered: SQL commands for Oracle just like Access?

Hi,

This is my first post at this forum but I know I will be here very often. I am taking my first class on Oracle after many many database classes

I have spent the last week doing trial and error simply attempting to create a table in an Oracle db. I was told it is exactly the same as the sql commands in access, as far as creating a table and insert commands are concerned. This has not seemed to be the case at all (or there is some particular thing I am doing wrong)

So, my first question here is just this. Can you really create a table and insert data using the exact same SQL commands you would in Access?

Thank you and I look forward to learning much from this forum.

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by maxheadwound View Post
    So, my first question here is just this. Can you really create a table and insert data using the exact same SQL commands you would in Access?
    I don't know Access, but every "Access SQL" that I have seen was was far from being standard SQL.
    So I think the answer to that question is definitely no

You need to post your statements and the error messages if you want any further help

I didn't know folks who used access knew how to write SQL. I thought wizards did everything? I've only used Access to fix other people's messes and port to real databases.

Probably the biggest trick is getting the data types right. If you post a query or two we can tell you what you need to change.

For the time being I found I what I was looking for. You can create basic tables the same way you would in Access with only slight differences.

And yes, you can do everything in Access via SQL commands, under the SQL pane which does not always show itself depending on what you are doing. A lot of Access use involves understanding VBA as well. But your right, for the most part, as a single use office too its a lot of point and click

Provided Answers: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by maxheadwound View Post
    I am taking my first class on Oracle after many many database classes. I have spent the last week doing trial and error simply attempting to create a table in an Oracle db.
    I'd expect that, someone who has taken that many database classes, had already learnt that there's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual; you should read it. Because, trial and error way of learning is probably the worst one could choose.

All the oracle manuals are online and available. See the sql and pl/sql manuals for commands. The link is

Search and Download Oracle Database, Application Server, and Collaboration Suite Documentation
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.