San Francisco, CA

Welcoming myself.

I'm a hobby developer/designer working at the San Francisco Chronicle. Both for my hobbies and job I am teaching myself database design as well as SQL (primarily MySQL and Oracle SQL). I'd like to expand my knowledge of PHP to combine these two things to develop database-driven web applications. (No, I don't want to make a social networking site or some Flickr clone.)

I have a deep love for comics and gaming. By gaming I mean pretty much the whole spectrum - video games, tabletop games, pen and paper RPGs... You name it.

My current project is a campaign manager for Games Workshop's Necromunda. This is being done without their consent or knowledge and is primarily for the benefit of a small group of friends. At some point, if it becomes a full-blown application, I would think about releasing it as an open source treat for other fans of what is, arguably, GW's best game.

Aside from that I have lofty plans of a content management system for my totally underused website. Something that combines my favorite aspects of different applications (such as WordPress) into a "Ah, good, this does exactly what I need for what I intend to do with my site. No more. No less." And, yes, I realize that's short-sighted.

As I must make sure there's no logical ordering to my statements in this post, I'll continue by saying my name is Matt and I have a pretty messed up sense of humor. (There's no such thing as "too soon" for me!)

I look forward to conversing with you all and hope to gain vast stores of knowledge that I can potentially pass onto others. I'd like to think I'm a fast learner and I've been told that I have a knack for teaching people the things I know how to do.

While not a complete and utter novice with databases, I would say I am very inexperienced.

Hello, everyone.

(I really need to go to sleep.)

In front of the computer
    Yeah, I'll buy the part about needing sleep. That is a perpetual problem with geeks of all flavors.

Welcome to the world of DBForums!

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.