Unanswered: Forms Questions - Multiple Forms

Hi all,

Just trying to wrap my head around Access 2007 Forms and am still just a bit confused about what the user will experience. I believe right now that the project i'm working on requires 3 forms: Employee, Project, and Fees. From initial talks I believe that they would want to have full control over these items and be able to add, update, and delete items from each table.

Now my confusion lies in how the forms are displayed. Will all 3 be displayed to the user at once? Should I be creating 1 form that allows the user to work on all 3 at once? I am just not sure how others handle this type of situation. To me it seems silly to have 3 Form tabs open at once, but I could be wrong!

Madison, WI
    In a typical situation, you have your (3) tables, Employee, Project, and Fees along with forms to enter data into those tables.

You typically then also have a table to 'tie' all the data (ie. ID fields) from the Employee, Project, and Fees table (which can vary on setup depending on your needs.) This is another form and you utilize comboboxes/listboxes to populate the correct ID field in this table (ie. a combobox for 'Select Employee'. The user enters a name (which stores the ID behind the scenes) and so on for the other fields. (Note this form 'tie everything together is based ONLY on the 4th table.)

To some point, you can combine these with forms/subforms but this gets tricky and it's usually best to keep it simple (ie. have a button to edit Employees ONLY, have a button to edit Projects ONLY, etc.....) and then a button to open your form to tie them all together using the comboboxes/listboxes on the form.

Thus, your 4th table/form to 'tie everythin together' might look like this:

RecID (autonumber)
    EmployeeID (integer - tying back to the EmployeeID in the Employee table.)
    ProjectID (integer - tying back to the ProjectID in the Project table.)
    FeeID (integer - tying back to the FeeID in the Fees table.)
    OtherField (ie. status or something) for this combination of values.
    This varies a bit depending on the project but hopefully this will get you started.

It's important to make sure your relationships are setup CORRECTLY (ie. one to many join, one to one join, cascade update, cascade delete) when setting up the relational structure showing what tables/fields link to the other tables field!
    Last edited by pkstormy; 01-16-10 at 22:16.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)