dbDesigner amd MSSQL

Hello. I have searched, and cannot find an answer to an issue I am having with dbDesigner4. My original db was done in Access 2000, and imported to SQL 2k. That was fine, except that it lost the relationships between tables. I then reverse engineered it into dbDesigner to work on it further. So far, so good. I recreated some of those lost relationships and tweaked fields some in dbDesigner, but get an error when I try to sync back to the original SQL db, which says "SQL state 42000, SQL error code 2812. Cannot find the stored procedure "show."

I am guessing that show is a MySQL thing, since 'show' seems to be a reserved word in it, and that the sync is not recognizing that the db is MSSQL, despite the connection specifying that it is. I found under the options to define a default db, but it will not seem to flip to MSSQL, despite it being in the dropdown list.

Any suggestions welcome...TIA.

Days later, and I have since upgraded to a local installation of SQL Express 2005, reimported the original Access 2000 db, and reinstalling DBDesigner. Recreating the diagram via reverse engineering still worked, but I still get the same error on the update. If anybody has a suggestion, or even just knows this does not work, please post a reply. Freeware alternatives to dbDesigner to do graphical modeling and push it back to SQL also welcome. Please, please, please...
    Last edited by Serenasdb; 01-20-10 at 11:22. Reason: Updated

I don't believe "show" is a reserved word in TSQL.

If you've got access, why not just use the relationship modeler and then "upsize" it to sql with a wizard?

Alternately, if this is a one-time gig maybe you could download a trial of MSSQL 2k5 so you get SSMS/SSIS and can upgrade/export/what-have-you and then save off the create script.

Also, I haven't tried it against MSSQL yet but DbDesigner was snatched up by MySQL and is now MySQL Workbench. Naturally I'd assume they pulled support for everything but MySQL given their new overlords, but it's worth looking at.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Thanks.

When I got no response from the forum, I did some more research and effectively found some posts (in spanish, and on SA and other natively spanish-speaking sites) that translated to the effect you suggest. It just doesn't work that way anymore. Oh well.

I have Access 2000, but the process was getting cumbersome to switch back and forth between the table design, relationship views, forms, & reports, and I thought it a good idea (for a little while) to just do it in SQL. But SQL, at the 2000 level I had available to me, did not have the Relationships type view, so I was hopeful on dbDesigner.

In the end, I have realized the cumbersome part was mostly from bad design, resulting from not doing a good enough job at analyzing what I wanted out of the db to begin with. I have since peeked into newer SQL Express editions, that will run on my desktop, but it does not appear to be able to give me the intuitive Form and Report design abilities that I am used to in Access.

Moreover, the db I am writing is not for "real" use, and is mostly something to do to pass the cold winter months while waiting on spring, and my interest in SQL was an effort to teach myself something in the process.

Given all that, I have since completely started over, working in Access again. In fact, it is nearing completion. I may "upgrade" it to SQL sometime, but Access will do for now. If by chance you are into Titan Quest, and want to know more about it, drop me a personal message and I will tell you more about it.

Thanks for posting something. It has been several days since I put it up, and I had really forgot the thread was still open.

Have a look at 'SSRS' (Sql Server Reporting Services). It's very "access-like" in so far as it's a banded report designer with bound controls that accept expressions. Beginning with 2k8 there is some flavor of SSRS available with the express edition.

You may be interested in using Access on top of Sql Server as well. You can build all your normal reports, queries and forms in Access but have them run against a SQL Server backend. This is not an uncommon approach for small scale personal reporting deals.

Good suggestions again...

I probably did not have the right tools for SQL installed. I really couldn't figure from what I did see how it was done. I guess I am to used to Access.

Using newer software of some kind would be definitely be in order; and thanks for being particularly tactful about that. I put out a post in Introductions asking for suggestions on what kinds of environments are used out there, with the idea being to emulate them, but it has gotten no replies.

But it all still goes to the next issue - having a machine capable to run it. The old server I use to play on is getting VERY dated, and just does not have the horsepower to run anything past 2000. I'm watching eBay for a better one at a price I can live with for something to play around on. Outbid today on one that would have done nicely, and was hardware I would be familiar with. Maybe next time.

Alas, my elephant's-child curiosity fragments in a number of directions... Virtual servers, Linux, Exchange, SQL... I recently got a new Eris running Android, and am starting to wonder a bit about how those apps are done...

Android is just Java, as far as app devs are concerned.

Android Developers

Interesting...

And yet another curiosity takes root and starts to grow...

Thanks again for all your suggestions.