Unanswered: What is the necessity for specifying a length when configuring a varchar field?

I did a test where I created two tables--both tables had a single, varchar field.

In one of the tables, the field length was set to 750 characters and in the other table the field length was set to 4,000 characters.

I then wrote a small looping batch which inserted 1,000,000 identical records in both tables.

The result was that both tables were occupying identical storage space (as viewed on the Storage page on the Properties view of the table).

So, the question is, if you are going to specify varchar, what difference does it make that you specify the field 10 characters in length versus 4,000 characters in length, as long as whatever you specify is long-enough to hold your data?

Are there issues here, relating to indexing, that I am overlooking?
    Ken

Maverick Software Design

(847) 864-3600 x2

In terms of indexing, an index cannot be longer than 9000 bytes, since that is the size of a page.

In answer to your question it is really just a question of constraining the data. Remember that data types are just the most simple of the data constraints, and the size is a property of variable length data constraints. As such, it is predominantly to enforce logical constraints rather than an implementation issue. Of course, there would be physical consequences if you allowed 4000 characters for the country name and these were regularly all used, but the logical consequences would be more of a worry than bits on a disk.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Good points.

Concerning the indexing, because of the 9,000 byte limit, having a compound index made of of, say, three varchar fields, if they were all sized as 4,000 characters, that would be a problem.

In general, the main reason for constraining a varchar field is to place a database-level size constraint reflecting the applications true needs.

Thanks.
    Ken

Maverick Software Design

(847) 864-3600 x2

In the scenario you describe SQL Server will create the index but also issue a warning.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Provided Answers: 11
    Er...The limit on an index is 900 bytes per row. The page limit is 8060 bytes, I believe.

Oh rly? I always thought it was about the size of a page. So you can have up to 9 values per index page? Is 900 an arbitrary value they picked then?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump View Post
    ... but the logical consequences would be more of a worry than bits on a disk.
    i've always thought this to be the most important criterion

let's say you have a compound index, consisting of multiple columns

and the first column is "large" (e.g. 4000 bytes, or whatever)

under what circumstances will you be needing to do a WHERE column = value search? that's right, none

in other words, wouldn't this index only find usefulness when doing WHERE column LIKE [%]value[%]

okay, given this first "large" column as the first column in the compound index on the table rows, under what circumstances would you want the second column of the index to be "large" (e.g. 4000 bytes, or whatever)

i can't think of a practical application, but misapplications come all too quickly to mind, and the implications of this leave me feeling a bit uneasy...

WHERE attrname LIKE '%touchy%'
    AND attrvalue LIKE '%feely%'

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 11
    Rly

er...I mean Really. Here it is right here. It's not all that bad, though. You were only off by an order of 10 ;-)