Unanswered: Question about linked tables from excel

Just a general question,

If I were to be downloading a report daily in excel and using it as a linked table into access, is there a way to keep historical data?

maybe a create table query that filters out the particular data I use and saves to a new table in the database?
    Life - sexually transmitted, always fatal.

My beer drunken soul is sadder than all the dead christmas trees in the world.

Provided Answers: 1
    Historical data of what?

What's the purpose for the history? Are you constrained to client-side approaches?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

We want to keep track of our In-stock percentages of Items.

In obtaining the data I am constrained to client-side. I can either copy and paste from a webpage or download as an excel sheet. Either way, I to do it daily

After that I am the developer, I want to save the data to my database with the least amount of time/energy spent copying and pasting columns/rows in excel.

I would just like to see how the item's performance is from day to day, month to month, by category, or this year vs last year, etc.
    Last edited by Marsbars; 01-26-10 at 14:33.

Provided Answers: 1
    How much data are we talking? Historical record capacity requirements can get out of hand pretty quick.

If you're not dealing with much data, you could go with the fairly straightforward approach of creating a new table that has the exact same structure as you're current table, except for additional columns for historical id and history/create date. That's easy and high fidelity, but obviously requires R*n storage where "R" is the normal requirements for a given row and "n" is the number of times that row has changed.

There are other more performant or less disk space intensive approaches, but they generally require a lot more forethought and development...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Hmm. Good to know, thanks for the advice.