Unanswered: Bank fraud detection scenario

Hi all,

I am working as a dba in a small bank and I got an assignment to develop an in-house tool for detecting fraud scenarios. I know the technical part of manipulating multiple data sources and mining data, but do you happen to know what tests/scenarios the banks use to detect fraud across all types of transactions (e.g. deposits, cards, online banking, employee fraud, wire and ACH etc)? Thanks.

Provided Answers: 1
    Start small.

How would you detect it WITHOUT a fancy in-house application?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 54
    You need to ask your auditing department what tests they want implemented, as a developer you should focus on how to do what the user wants done, not on determining what you think the user wants you to do.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

This question already reside in ORACLE forum .

why is it being asked in both database forums of oracle and sqlserver?

Thanks for the advice. We have no auditing department. That is way I was doing more than a developer job.

This assignment was given to me with a tight deadline, I thougt that someone might have already implemented such types of fraud scenarios. Have any of you coded such tests/scenarios?

Yes, I've done several of them for small banks and S&L organizations, and worked on two major banks fraud detection systems. Unfortunately, just about everyone that has done so is forbidden by contract to discuss the details because banks don't really want people to know just how they detect that kind of problem! ')

Sorry, I can answer specific questions on how to do things, but I can't discuss the general ideas of what to do.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by rhodesian View Post
    Thanks for the advice. We have no auditing department. That is way I was doing more than a developer job.

This assignment was given to me with a tight deadline, I thougt that someone might have already implemented such types of fraud scenarios. Have any of you coded such tests/scenarios?
    Well you could try going to one of the on-line sites for programming fraud detection/prevention software. May be of use for more specific types of programming audit tools.

Hi Pat, I am aware of what you are saying. Would you discuss this in private?

savage_roxy@yahoo.com

No, I'm sorry I can't.

I'd suggest contacting your state board of governors or your FDIC contact. They could provide detailed information that I can't.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 1
    Here is some handy code for detecting bank fraud:
    Code:
    ....where LastName = 'Phelan'
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

You need to get the business to define the rules.