Unanswered: Access report or Word Merge?

Hello..
    I wonder if you have any thoughts on this.
    Which would you consider better?

To print the report from access itself (could involve a very long report)
    Or sending it to Word via the Merge thing?

Is one better/safer than the other?

Tracy

Provided Answers: 59
    I don't think there is a huge difference between the two
    a lot depends on what you are trying to achieve.

mail merge is a powerful tool ideal, its realtive easy to do what its best at.. mailshots, ie pull names & addresses out of a data source and sue them in what ever form for a multi point mailshot. you can use the same data source for multiple letter/mailshots. the finished product can be made to be much slicker than an Access report which is much more limited in terms of formatting and presentational tricks

if the desired output is mire report orientated then using an Access report makes more sense. by that if its something people will see several times theres a lot to be said for using a report. if the format doesn't change then use a report. you can pull chunks of text into a report from a db if you so wish. another big plus for using access reports is that correctly designed its harder to send the wrong stuff to the wrong recipient. a mail list is a list of people + address. a report can be setup usign an appropriate query to ony extract those you need. granted you can use the same query to be the feed stick to a mailmerge but Ive often found that mailmerges can get screwed by someone selecting the wrong datasource, whereas thats a lot harder to do in an Access report.

bear in mind you can print form Access into, say a PDF, then offer the PDF to the user so they can print individual pages as they see fit.

you can limit whats in an Access report by appropriate use of filters and so on.

persoanlly I don't see the length of the report as an issue, as, assuming they are using the same datasource they are both going to churn out a report/document of similar length / size.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Some food for thought.. Thank you

Would there be much difference in DB size if it was done in Access?
    I think I like the idea of keeping everything together, but making that report.. sheesh..
    Now, one very long report or 1 main report and lots of sub reports?
    Formatting would be a lot easier in Word though right?

Decisions.. Thanks for your input healdem, always appreciated

Tracy

If the ratio of Access Data to fixed boilerplate text is small - use Word merge

If non-techies need to frequently - or occasionally - change alot of the text - use Word merge

If the reader(s) do not have the Access application and/or you want to email it to them - use Word Merge

Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    If the ratio of Access Data to fixed boilerplate text is small - use Word merge

If non-techies need to frequently - or occasionally - change alot of the text - use Word merge

If the reader(s) do not have the Access application and/or you want to email it to them - use Word Merge
    So you're recommending use Word Merge then

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyar View Post
    So you're recommending use Word Merge then
    I don't think you've provided enough information for anyone to suggest to you whihc to use or not.

NTC's is a very thorough brief summary.
    only you cna decide, given what you know about your application about what is the most suitable tool. sometimes the most suitable tool is not necessarily the 'best' tool however thats identified. what often is the best tool to use is reflected in your experience as a developer, your users familiarity and expertese.. and that ultiamtely is your call, not his mine or anyone else's
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton