Unanswered: Installing DB2 V9.5 ESE for Linux, Unix, Windows

Hi, I have to install DB2 V9.5 ESE for Linux. I have read articles on IBM site about the installation tasks. The 3 main tasks are db2install, then create DB2 Administrator server (DAS), and then create instance. Check for Licence. If there is a need for fixpack then install the fixpack too. Finally, restore and migrate the backup data.

My question is there any other steps during the installation including some configurations.

Thanks

Nav

Provided Answers: 5
    If you want to apply a fixpack, you no longer have to install the GA version and then apply the fixpack. You can just install the fixpack. I would user db2setup instead of db2install because it helps you create the DAS and 1 instance. These are the steps I usually go through:

1) install DB2 (db2setup). Do this at the fixpack you want to end up as to eliminate a step.
    2) Configure DAS and instance (DBM) that were created in step 1 to company standards
    3) restore backup image. If migration from previous version, it will automatically happen here
    4) configure DB for new enviroment

Andy

Thanks

Thanks Andy for your reply.

Nav

Quote Originally Posted by ARWinner View Post
    If you want to apply a fixpack, you no longer have to install the GA version and then apply the fixpack. You can just install the fixpack. I would user db2setup instead of db2install because it helps you create the DAS and 1 instance. These are the steps I usually go through:

1) install DB2 (db2setup). Do this at the fixpack you want to end up as to eliminate a step.
    2) Configure DAS and instance (DBM) that were created in step 1 to company standards
    3) restore backup image. If migration from previous version, it will automatically happen here
    4) configure DB for new enviroment

Andy
    installing db2 v9.5 on linux today
    at what point do I set registry variables, instance and other .profile(s) and .db2profile(s)?

Thanks
    DB2 9.5/9.7 on Unix/AIX 6.1/Linux

Linux does not have registry variables like windows. If you mean the db2set options that you may want to set beyond the default, you can set them after step 2, but you will need to restart the instance at that point. Do not modify the .profile (DB2 recommends that you do not touch this at all, but to modify the .db2profile if necessary). You can modify the .db2profile after the instance is set up (after step 1).

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ARWinner View Post
    Linux does not have registry variables like windows. If you mean the db2set options that you may want to set beyond the default, you can set them after step 2, but you will need to restart the instance at that point. Do not modify the .profile (DB2 recommends that you do not touch this at all, but to modify the .db2profile if necessary). You can modify the .db2profile after the instance is set up (after step 1).

Andy
    can i edit /home/db2v9i1/sqllib] profile.env file to set registry variables?

i tried to use db2set and got an error:
    COREDB@[/home/db2v9i1]db2set -i DB2AUTOSTART=FALSE
    DBI1306N The instance profile is not defined.
    Explanation:
    The instance is not defined in the target machine registry.
    User response:
    Specify an existing instance name or create the required instance.

though .profile and db2profile of db2v9i1 user is the same as on AIX (i am mimicing existing environment on AIX)
    DB2 9.5/9.7 on Unix/AIX 6.1/Linux

You need to run db2set as the instance owner.

Andy

You shouldn't fiddle around in sqllib/db2profile manually. In case you update your DB2 instance, those changes may be lost.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Instead of changing sqllib/db2profile, you should sqllib/userprofile. The db2profile calls the userprofile before exiting.

Andy