Unanswered: restoring Ms sql 2000 database

Greetings!

I am not a dba by any means, as you will notice when you read my question. I have "inherited" a clone Windows 2000 server that is running MS SQL 2000 with some ASP scripts and one database. Recently it suffered a massive RAID coronary and lost everything. I had a backup and was able to restore it to what I thought was a decent level.

However, it seems that the original DBA did not do a "correct" backup (or even an export) of the database, so it is no where to be found. If just a standard Ntbackup was done of the entire drive (normal mode), is there anyway to get this database back from the depths of computer hades?

Kidbyte

You are probably SOL. NTBackup cannot backup SQL Server database files unless SQL Server has been stopped/shutdown beforehand.

What type of RAID did you have? Are you saying the entire RAID is unrecoverable? Even in a simple Mirrored RAID scenario that is highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by brucevde View Post
    You are probably SOL. NTBackup cannot backup SQL Server database files unless SQL Server has been stopped/shutdown beforehand.

What type of RAID did you have? Are you saying the entire RAID is unrecoverable? Even in a simple Mirrored RAID scenario that is highly unlikely.

It was a class 5 raid. One drive dropped out and could not be reformatted and restored to the raid. I replaced the drive with a new one. During this time, a second of the original two drives dropped out and could not be restored to the raid. As a result, the whole raid set was lost/corrupted.

kid

wow, sorry to hear that. that's ridiculous

this serves as a reminder to test restore on a regular basis.