Unanswered: Could not initialize BDE

I recently instslled Pdox9 on a network computer (locally). The programme I develop ran well . However, when the user logged on, and tried to run Pdox9, we got the following message:

Paradox Error
    Network initialization failed
    Directory :C\
    File: C:\PDOXUSRS.NET

Cannot Access network locked file.
    Continue with network disabled?

On clicking 'Yes', the following message appeared:

Could not initialize BDE.:
    Network initialization failed
    Directory C:\
    File: C:\PDOXUSRS.NET

I know that there is someone out there who can solve the problem. I am asking for some assistance. Thank you very much.

you need to go to the BDE Administrator (control panel) and change the location of the network control file (the net file).. most modern windows installations won't let you write to the root of a drive.. and when you install on a network, do the same thing, but point to someplace every machine can get to.. in that case, the net file folder and all shared data MUST be exactly the same from every machine..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

Hi Brother Green, please pardon my extreme ignorance in this area of knowledge. I did access the BDE Administrator in the Control Panel, but I do not know where to locate the network control file in order to make the change of location.

Additionally, should I locate the BDE Administrator locally, or at the User level?

I really do apppreciate your help. THANK YOU.

I haven't had a copy of pdoxwin installed for over a year, so I can't walk you thru the menus.. if you post on the paradox community forum instead of here, you'll have many more people available for quick support.. Home - Paradox Community
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Easy fix that just might work!

I encountered this error today (yes, in 2016) when a user tried to install Paradox on their new computer. Believe it or not, we are still using it. I ran across your post and noticed that it was unsolved. I didn't find the answer online but stumbled across it using dumb luck. I wanted to share what I discovered in case anyone else is still using this old software and the solution might work for them. I went to c:\ where the file pdoxusrs.net had been placed by the Paradox installation CD. I changed the name of the file to "notpdoxusrs.net" so that Paradox would not see it. (I was afraid to delete it because I wanted to be able to easily undo it if it made the problem worse or didn't help to solve the problem.) Ta-da! Paradox opened right up without displaying any error messages. This might work for you if you haven't abandoned the use of Paradox by now.

yes, there are still folks using Paradox.. the default root of c: location for the net file was always wrong, anyhow.. open the BDE, and change the location.. if you're on a network, point it to the same net file as everyone else, or they'll lock each other out of anything shared..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Yes, all of the information I could find online said to do that. But, interestingly enough, she doesn't have the BDE Administrator. We are running Paradox 8. I think the BDE administrator may have come later? The installation CD for Paradox 8 is dated 1997. (!) I wasn't sure if downloading the BDE administrator would help since it seems to work without that. She is running it on her computer only. She said it doesn't work on a shared drive.

yes, it's there, even if you haven't found it.. paradox can't run without it.. it could be on the local drive or on the network, depending on how they installed everything.. the net file must be shared, but the bde can be installed locally.. every cfg must be the same, it's more work, but it can still be on the local drive.. and yes, you can download the latest bde from my web site, or elsewhere.. your 8 might still have v4.x, not v5.x, but it's a trivial difference
    --

Oasis Trading Post