Unanswered: Modifying Reports in Paradox 9

Our division has a Paradox database on a local network server. I have been thrust into supporting this app with no prior knowledge of Paradox (although I am conversant with MS Access).

I'm trying to modify Paradox form letters (*.rsl), which use table results (answer.db) to populate fields in the body of the letter.

I have copied the contents of the app's working folder onto the hard drive of a local workstation that has Paradox 9 installed.

When I try to open the report in design view, I get a dialog box which reads:

"c:\program files\corel\share\private\answer.db does not exist. Do you want to replace the table in the data model."

Where does answer.db exist? I can't find it anywhere, either locally or on the network. Is there any way to open a report in design view without disturbing any associated tables/queries attached to the report?

I am at my wit's end, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

"answer" is a temp table, usually the result of a query.. all temp tables exist on-the-fly and/or as-needed in the defined Private folder.. at the time this report was made, the path you see was the defined Private folder..

so, most likely, you need to run that query, to get the Answer table, to open the report.. a trick that most paradox developers learn, for testing and modification situations like this, is to make a copy of the Answer table.. before you open the report, make a copy of the saved table as Answer.. now you can open the report, and you have your test data / sample data ready to use..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green View Post
    a trick that most paradox developers learn, for testing and modification situations like this, is to make a copy of the Answer table.. before you open the report, make a copy of the saved table as Answer.. now you can open the report, and you have your test data / sample data ready to use..
    Thanks for getting back, Steve.

I'm not familiar enough with this app to know what tables/queries are behind these reports. Consequently, when I open the report, all of the fields on the report are undefined. Is there a way that I can "see" the tables/queries for a report without actually opening the report?

find whatever called the report.. the query should be right before that, give or take a few lines of cleanup, adjustments, etc..

beyond that piece of generic advice, there's not much more I can offer.. I don't know anything about the app, either..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too