Looking for help choosing a database

I've been looking to find a database that is capable of being sorted in complex ways for a baseball game I am writing in my spare time between classes. I'm fairly inexperienced with databases but I have worked with MySQL. I'm a numbers geek so I want to be able to, for example, look at a player's batting average during night games on the road against left-handed pitchers in a 1-2 count (ridiculous, I know). Maybe this isn't even realistic but I want to be able to store as many stats as possible and be able to look at very specific conditions to see how a player performs. What databases should I be looking at for something like this? Being that this is also just something that I'm doing in my free time I want a free solution but I would still like to hear what you think would be best, free or not.

Does anyone have a suggestion for where I should post this?

Actually, MySQL would work fine for the problem you've described.

Microsoft Access would be easier in some ways, but it does cost money.

OpenOffice would also do a fine job.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

How would you do that? If you are looking at the database, how would you know that one particular hit happened on the road and at night? The only thing I could think of is having a field for "on the road at night" which would make the table pretty big, pretty fast. Is there a better way to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan19 View Post
    how would you know that one particular hit happened on the road and at night?
    WHERE team = 'away' AND gamestart >= '18:00'[/code]
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL