Unanswered: Sizing of forms in 2007

Ok, this is starting to make me angry. I've set the properties of this form just like I do in MS Access 2003 but it's not viewing the way I want, JUST THE FORM, and not all the white space.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Or how to do it like MS Access 2003 did where it just showed the form and autocentered?

Please let me know...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 6
    Don't have 2007 on this machine, so can't look at the attachment, but make sure the option in Office Button/Access Options/Current Database/Document Window Options is set to Overlapping Windows rather than Tabbed.
    Paul

I think there's a setting in MSAccess 2007 which hides the area where the Tables, Queries, Forms, Reports, Objects are. I noticed when running some initial 2007 tests, my popup forms would be off-centered (even the 'background' form I open first and maximize) wasn't maximizing to the full screen. I can't recall where the setting is though in 2007 - sorry (difficult to find anything in 2007).
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy View Post
    difficult to find anything in 2007
    Truer words were never spoken, my friend. I suspect the setting you're talking about is in the same area I mentioned earlier: a checkbox titled "Display Navigation Pane".
    Paul

Sorry Paul - I didn't connect your solution to my issue until after I re-read your post again. I'll have to remember this - thanks!

MSAccess 2007 installation defaults to this setting???

I'm assuming there's at least a parameter setting in the 2007 installation process which can be scripted to turn this off? (in case someone want's to NOT have to remember to turn this off for everyone).

I'd hate to have to do this for every 2007 installation. All our 2007 installations currently have this setting as Tabbed. In all my 2003 mdb creations, I've always used a simple maximized background form (and then popup forms) which was a nice trick on keeping my users from getting behind the scenes but with this setting as Tabbed, they can easily get behind the scenes to the tables/queries.

Does Microsoft have any suggestions on how to accomplish the same thing in code? (I try to avoid putting in 'special' coding in all my mdb's though to accomodate a somewhat less-than-thought-out upsize issue by MS.) I've never seen such a radical change in a newer version (going all the way back to version 1.0!)
    Last edited by pkstormy; 02-03-10 at 22:58.

Don't quote me, but I think Tabbed is the default (I just created a new accdb, and that was the setting). I honestly don't know if there's an install parameter available. I don't like the setting, and change it whenever I run into it. My users typically either only have the runtime version or I force them into runtime mode with my version control utility, so I don't worry that much about them getting behind the scenes.
    Paul

I think Microsoft converted to Islam and is trying to weed out the unwantable old developers unwilling to change their methods (or is devoted to jihad).

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    Don't quote me, but I think Tabbed is the default (I just created a new accdb, and that was the setting). I honestly don't know if there's an install parameter available. I don't like the setting, and change it whenever I run into it. My users typically either only have the runtime version or I force them into runtime mode with my version control utility, so I don't worry that much about them getting behind the scenes.
    All my users only open the mde file but I noticed the simple trick of maximizing the background form (and using popups) doesn't work on mde files (at least on 2003 mde versions). How do you do it in code?

Maybe I have to upsize all my 2003 mde's to 2007. - kind of sounds like someone didn't think this through in the 2007 development process.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 02-03-10 at 23:04.

That one made me literally laugh out loud!
    Paul

Thanks everyone for the responses. It worked in the Access Options - Current Database deal.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to turn off that bar on the left of the forms when they form view is displayed. The one with the right-pointing arrow. I looked at the settings in my form on a 2003 db and they're all the same with the exception of record selectors ( I leave them on to make sure everything is working before turning them off and deploying the db ). Wonder if it's in a similar spot as the original problem? Don't figure why that'd be though :scratch:

**EDIT**

Scratch the question, figured it out. "Record Selectors" off and it went away, "Navigation Buttons" on turns on the bottom to display the number of records / add a new record, etc.
    Last edited by Grafixx01; 02-04-10 at 11:57.

Grafixx: Glad we got it sorted out.

pkstormy: I didn't notice the question you posted at the end there. Looks like we were posting at the same time. I don't normally maximize a background form like that. Are you saying that it won't open maximized in an mde, or that the code to maximize it won't work? I typically maximize reports, but not forms.
    Paul

No. When I responded to the original posting, I was meaning the same left-hand sided bars where the Tables, Queries, etc... can be expanded/viewied which your reply is the solution for - correct? Now I'm confused.

It's the code to maximize the form which isn't actually maximizing the form to the entire screen (ie. the left-hand side still has the Tables/Queries...listing)

I always use a maximized background form to hide the tables (and then popup modal forms to prevent users from clicking on the background form). Worked like a charm until 2007.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 02-04-10 at 22:40.