Unanswered: Unexpected increase in size of incremental backup

Hi,

Has anyone ever experienced an unexpected jump in the size of the incremental backup? Last week, I noticed a 2 GB increase on Wed night and then again, I noticed a 2 GB increase from the backup last night. I'm just finding it odd that it increases by exactly 2 GB. Our backup images have the log files attached to them -- I'm 100% sure it's not the data in the database tables itself that's increasing.. yesterday, I needed to clean up a few tables.. so I exported the necessary data to files, dropped the table and imported data from the files (using commitcount 1000).. I did this to two tables... also, I purged the log files right after this as well. We're a little short on space on our system so this increase is alarming me!

Any ideas on what could be causing this..? Thanks!!
    Last edited by db2user24; 02-05-10 at 13:37.

Provided Answers: 1
    Changes are tracked at a page level. By dropping and creating a table you have changed quite a few pages, I suppose.

On top of it, each incremental backup contains changes from the latest full backup, so the Thursday's backup would contain changes from Thursday as well as Wednesday.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Thanks for the reply Nick.. yes, I'm aware that the backup image should keep increasing in size but from the patterns of the past backups, I don't see such a big jump in size. for example --

Feb 3rd - Backup image size 7.0G
    Feb 4th - Backup image size 7.1G
    Feb 5th - Backup image size 9.1G

If you are short on space why not switch to Delta? or drop Feb 3rd backup. You can always use latest and roll it to a 3rd time frame based on your set up.

Do you know what your users are doing?
    --
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

yeah, no problems in dropping the feb 3rd backup.. we usually keep the latest / greatest anyways.. but I was just curious as to why this was happening.. a 2 GB jump is quite a bit.. there is only one table in our db that gets a lot of data.. but it increasing by 2 GB overnight is just simply strange. I have a feeling that something else is causing this jump.. just can't put my finger on it.. I just the db2diag.log file for some clue but nothing seems out of the ordinary there as well.

Check this link if you have long/LOBs:
    IBM DB2 9.5 Information Center for Linux, UNIX, and Windows